On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Michael Merritt wrote:
> Well, take the paragraph:
> "Missing from Linux are high-availability features that would let one
> Linux server step in and take over if another failed; full-fledged
> support for computers with multiple
> processors; and a "journaling" file system that is necessary to quickly
> reboot a crashed machine without having to laboriously reconstruct the
> computer's system files, the study said."
>
> Is Beowulf merely a figment of my imagination?  As well as many other
> clustering solutions.  Try doing half of that with NT.

Beowulf is high performance not high availability.  Compare Beowulf
http://www.beowulf.org/intro.html with an IBM RS6000 AIX SP system
http://www.rs6000.ibm.com/resource/technology/spraswp.html#abs.

NT isn't even a player IMHO.  But when you compare Linux on a 2 processor
PC to a 64 cpu SGI IRIX box or an IBM RS6000 AIX SP setup, Linux does come
up short by comparison in all of the areas they mention.  Not that the
shortcomings aren't being addressed...

--
To get out of this list, please send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with