On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 05:06:02PM +0200, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got a bug report in the debian BTS which is beyond my knowledge.
> Could one of you shed some light on the issue?

Hopefully.
I ran across exactly the same on a T42p today.

> Machine: IBM Thinkpad R50p
>
> I recognized following issues concerning s2ram/s2disk/s2both:
>
>   - calling s2ram works fine, resuming from RAM works
>   - after having resumed and calling s2disk the machine hangs with
>     heavy HD load
>   - it's not possible to terminate or kill any process with SysRq+E/I
>   - following messgages appears again and again if SysRq+E is pressed:
>
>   hda: task_out_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>   hda: task_out_intr: status=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, \
>   LBAsect=110561486, sector=110561486
>   hda: failed opcode was: unknown
>
>   where 'LBAsect' and 'sector' will have values above 11000000 each
>   time the behaviour is reproduced
>
> After having disabled the so called "IBM Predesktop Area" in the BIOS
> everything works (in the BIOS setup: Security -> IBM Predesktop Area ->
> Current Setting: Disabled).
> As far as I know this IBM Predesktop Area is located in a HPA.
> I'm not sure, if this is really a bug (and if so, if it is related to
> uswsusp).

It is not related to uswsusp, it is related to suspend to ram. The kernel
disables the HPA on boot. The harddrive is power cycled during suspend to
RAM. After resume, HPA is not disabled again. => boom.

You can verify this with:
- "hdparm -I /dev/hda > /tmp/identify-before"
- s2ram
- "hdparm -I /dev/hda > /tmp/identify-after"

then diff identify-before and identify-after, the disk will report different
sizes.

Unfortunately, once the Predesktop Area was disabled, you cannot reenable
it, so the bug is only reproducible until the "fix" with disabling the hpa
is made.

I will have a novell bugzilla report number about this soon.
--
Stefan Seyfried                     | "Please, just tell people
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |               to use KDE."