Hi.

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 09:10 +0100, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 03:41:52PM +1100, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 08:39 +0100, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> > > So if somebody submits a patch that implements a "reset_signature"
> > > program,
> > > i'll include that in the suspend package.
> >
> > I don't know if you care (you might not want to support Suspend2), but
>
> Wrong, if i was to write such a "restore_signature" program, i'd want it
> to support all known ways of screwing up your SWAP partition :-)
>
> > for Suspend2 enabled kernels, you can just do:
> >
> > [ -f /sys/power/suspend2/image_exists ] && echo 0 >
> > /sys/power/suspend2/image_exists
> >
> > You can cat the file to find out if an image exists, if you prefer (eg
> > from an initrd/ramfs). Return values are:
>
> But you need a suspend2-enabled kernel.

Everyone should have one of those! :)

> For rescue purposes ("engineer on-site to repair the hardware, diagnosing with
> a rescue CD first" scenario), a standalone binary that resets the signature is
> probably better.

Yeah, that makes sense.

> But this engineer should also know if he depends on the UUID of the swap
> partition to find it. If he does not, he can simply do a "mkswap" to reset
> the signature.

Since you mentioned it, what's they point to using these ugly, looong
uuids? /dev/hda2 is so much simpler and easier to read for mere humans.
I guess it might be useful for USB and so on with the hotplug messiness,
but when I look in /etc/fstab after some upgrade and stuff that's
irrelevant to hotplugging is changed into uuids,... why?

Regards,

Nigel