Winter Solstice Celebration and Campfire on Sunday, December 21st from 4-6
at Camp Earth Connection adjacent to Hammond Hill State Forest.  Free and
Open to Public.  Healing Hearts Outdoor Adventure Weekend Retreat for
Women, January 2-4, 20015.  For more information visit
www.campearthconnection.com or contact campearthconnection.com

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 12:26 AM, Sustainability in Tompkins County digest <
sustainable_tompkins-l@list.cornell.edu> wrote:

> SUSTAINABLE_TOMPKINS-L Digest for Thursday, December 04, 2014.
>
> 1. Prison talk at IC TUESDAY 12/9, with Truthout editor Maya Schenwar
> 2. Re: come sharpen your systems thinking skills next week!
> 3. Re: come sharpen your systems thinking skills next week!
> 4. Local Christmas Tree list on the CCE-Tompkins website
> 5. 12/10: CCE-Tompkins Annual Meeting & Local Foods Breakfase
> 6. Walk in the Park, new episode 9:00 tonight: Part 3 of Stewart Park
> Revitalization
> 7. Energy Efficiency Hands-On Workshop Series for Non-Residential Buildings
> 8. RE: SewGreen News: Fashion Show, Free Workshop
> 9. RE: SewGreen News: Fashion Show, Free Workshop

> Subject: Prison talk at IC TUESDAY 12/9, with Truthout editor Maya Schenwar
> From: Maura Stephens <msteph...@ithaca.edu>
> Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 15:46:24 +0000
>
> In a country with 2.3 million incarcerated men, women, and youth, lives of
> families and entire communities are often shattered. Many of us know the
> incarceration system is broken and doesnít work in lessening crime. But how
> to fix it?
>
> Truthout editor Maya Schenwar is coming to Ithaca College on Tuesday, Dec.
> 9, to discuss this, the subject of her new book, ìLocked Down, Locked Out.î
> Her talk will begin at 7:00 p.m. in School of Business 111 (the Carl
> Sgrecci Lecture Hall). Michelle Alexander, author of The New Jim Crow,
> wrote about Schenwarís book, ìI turned the last page feeling nothing less
> than inspired.î
>
> Schenwar shares some positive ideas for transforming the system into one
> that, instead of isolating, alienating, and discarding people, uses
> inclusion, respect, and accountability to help transform otherwise bleak
> lives into meaningful and fulfilling ones. She will also discuss her role
> as editor-in-chief of Truthout,<http://truth-out.org/> one of the most
> influential independent media outlets in the USA (and my editorial home
> these days).
>
> Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation, please contact
> Brandy Hawley, bhaw...@ithaca.edu<mailto:bhaw...@ithaca.edu>;
> 1-607-274-3590, as much in advance as possible.
>
> WHAT: ìLocked Down, Locked Outî with Maya Schenwar
> WHEN: Tuesday, Dec. 9, 7:00 p.m.
> WHERE: School of Business 111 (the Carl Sgrecci Lecture Hall)
>
> Parking is easy (and free) behind Dillingham Hall (theatre); itís a short
> walk to the Roy H. and Dorothy D. Park Center for Business and Sustainable
> Enterprise.
>
> We hope youíll join the Park Center for Independent Media for this event,
> which is free and open to all, and spread the word among colleagues and
> friends.
>
> Hope to see you on Tuesday.
>

> Maura Stephens
> Associate director, Park Center for Independent Media<
> http://www.ithaca.edu/indy>
> Department of Journalism
> Ithaca College
> 1-607-274-3829
> [...]

For more information about sustainability in the Tompkins County area, please
visit:  http://www.sustainabletompkins.org/
If you have questions about this list please contact the list manager, Tom
Shelley, at t...@cornell.edu.