Hi Scott, Cathy and All,
--- Scott & Cathy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My good People
>     Since we seem a bit  worked up about EV's, I
> might as well through my
> two cents in. The problem I see about EV's is that
> they seem to stress an
> already tired infrastructure. California anyone??

   Most EV's are charged at night when there is plenty
of capacity. The problem in Cal is with Peak demand
and very poor planning, regulations.
    Many people with EV's, if you want an EV you have
to build/ convert your own, genorate their own power
or buy power from green sources like solar/ wind farms
that they pay what used to be higher rates, now in Cal
their green rates are lower than most others.
> realize that there are
> regulation issues involved but doesn't it really
> boil down to, Nobody wants
> a powerplant or highline tower in their backyard!!
     You are right abou this one.
>     Wouldn't it be sensible to stretch the
> infrastructure that is already in
> place by having small 60-100kw powerplants on farms
> running off renewable
> energy. I can just see the flurry of calculations
> coming now about how many
> this would take to make a significant difference.
      This doesn't have to be just farms, here in Fla
there is enough urban yard waste to supply 1/4 of our
electrical needs. Also in our farms we get 4 crops a
year making them even more profitable. Saves power
line losses and costs too.
>     The winning answer is 1. One such installation
> will save my farm from
> inevitable finnacial ruin and provide power to
> 10-15 homes.
       100 kw powers about 50 homes in the US.
        A better way for price is to start a co-op and
buy bulk rate electric power that the power co can
turn off in peak demand times and for those times
genorate your own. This can cut your bills in half
with little work. More work in Cal, only 1 time in 5
years here in Fla.
      Also the same deal can work for single homes.
Why people in cold areas don't heat their houses with
co-genorators back feeding to the grid is amazing to
me. Their heating/ electric cost would drop in half
and have power in winter blackouts.
 > Biodiesel isn't the fuel source. But it will run my
> wood processing
> equipment.
   I'm working on destructive distillation of wood
without air to make methane, methanol and H2. Still
have not found plans for a small, 200 or so lbs cap,
wood distiller. If I don't find some soon I'll have to
design 1 myself. US farms use to use these in the 10's
to the late 30's to make methanol to power farm
equipment. Could be used to feed a genorator, ect.
    I have details for 100 ton ones though for making
charcoal or coke.
     We would like to hear about your systems?  It
would help other farms be saved.
            jerry dycus

> Scott Nikolai

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups