Hi Art and All,
      Many bugs were made into Ev's in the 70's/ 80's
and the adapter plates, coulpers are still for sale
used cheap if you look for them or you can make your
own. Fork lift motors, controllers and golf cart
batteries are best bet for a good low tech EV. Don't
use aircraft starter/ genorators, use series motors to
power it.
     For parts fork lift shops, internet classifieds
by EV clubs and EV parts dealers and advice from the
EVDList on Crest. Many people there with more
expertise on EV's than anywhere, people who own, drive
EV's every day and love them. Honest answers too. They
tell it like it is.
     Because of the bugs bad aero they only do well to
50 mph, but under 50 they are great EV's. Use a Karman
Ghia for faster speeds.
    I use a 73 bug front end on my 3 wheel EV.
    As this is a biofuel list you can e-mail me off
list or join the EVDList for more help. They don't
seem to like EV's here.
         jerry dycus
--- Art Wolfskill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm looking at converting my 73 VW bug into an EV.
> Anyone know of plans or
> a kit, or at least a good discussion of what it
> would take.  It's a
> learning-experience project.  I would like to find a
> motor that would mate
> to the current transaxle, if possible, but am open
> to other methods.
>
> - Art

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details