Hi Bud, Lois and All,
--- Bud & Lois Pitts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does anyone out there have a good way to make
> methanol out of wood products? I have a small
> sawmill and a lot of sawdust and wood chip that
> should make a good quality methanol, but I'm as dumb
> as dirt about the process so I would have to be lead
> by the hand for a while. I also have a complete
> machine shop so I'm sure that fabricating the
> equipment  needed would be no problem. Please advise
     The only method I know of is to heat wood chips
in a sealed vessel to 1000F and run the off gasses,
mostly methane and H2, thru 20 ft of insullated copper
tubing with a copper scrubber pulled apart and pulled
thru the copper tube for more catalytic surface area
then cool thru a radiator or cooled copper tubes.
Copper wire or a smaller copper tube should work if
you can't get a scrubie. Use wood without a lot of
resin like yellow pine because you would get acetone
and other chemicals.
     The liquid will be mostly methanol. Gasses left
over can be used to fire the process.
     This info came from a Home Power article on
gasification on their 1st CD. A great reference.
     If you try it let us know how it works. Biodiesel
people need a cheap source of methanol.
     For the prices methanol is selling for nowdays it
could be a business in itself.
        Hope this helps,
                  jerry dycus

> It's the PITTS