Hi Keith and All,
       Before anyone gets hurt from this let's look at
it. Steam is a very powerful explosive. Do not heat a
large amount of water over 212F unless you really know
what you are doing.
      That said the safer way is to use a flash boiler
with a scatter shield around it. The good thing about
flash boilers is the tiny amount of water heated to
explosive temps so if it blows not much damage
happens.
       How they work is you heat the boiler tube up
and inject just enough water for each piston stroke.
    The higher the steam temp the higher the eff. If
you want 40% eff you need 1100F + steam plus heat
recovery.
      I like the tube within a tube with the inside
tube for the steam and the outside tube with the
fire/heat going up and the water/ steam going down.
The outside tube will help contain any explosion and
keep the heat confinded to the boiler tubes.
    Insulate the outside of the fire tube, the engine
and pre-heat the fire feed air and feedwater for more
eff.
     For engines some are using Sanden car AC scroll
compressors, others have used A/C piston compressors
and 2 stroke ICE motors with new head valving. The
scroll compressor if it works would only need a
continous water feed pump for it instead of valves.
     For solar concertrators I like the old 7' to 10'
satellite dishes that are now obsolete and are given
away free for taking them down. Most of these have
concentrations of 10+ of sunlight if mirrored. They
come with power tracking that only needs easy
electronics to point it for max eff. The boiler for it
would be a spiral of tubing.
    The sun puts out 1kw/ Sq yard/meter with the sun
overhead.  The hottest temps you can get semi-safely
are from solar concentration. Make sure no one can put
a body part in the beam or it will be cooked instantly
from 5,000F+ temps. Remember what just a 4"/ 4 power
magifying glass would do to wood?
      Let's be careful out there,
                       jerry dycus