Hi Keith, Dana and All,
--- Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >One of our project members has requested that I
> >investigate the possability of methanol production
> >using corn cobs as a feedstock.
> >
> >Consisting of mainly cellulose I imagine that a
> >destructive distillation might be the route to go.
> >
> >Does anyone have a lead for more information on
> >destructive distillation or related material?
> >
> >I am more inclined to use pulverized corncobs as
> >Biodiesel production power myself but a small scale
> >methanol production unit would definately lower our
> >projected costs of Biodiesel production.
> >
> >Dana Linscott
>
> Hi Dana
>
> Why not go for ethyl esters? Re methanol, there's
> some information in
> the message archives. Try a search for "Hynol",
> "destructive
> distillation", "DD", should work. We haven't found
> anything
> satisfactory. There was a method in a Home Power
> article mentioned
> (Jerry?), but I don't think anybody's tried it and I
> don't have a
> detailed description of it. Do you need to expend
> the power
> pulverising the corncobs for BD production? Couldn't
> you burn them
> as-is?
      The Hynol report wasn't very good. Maybe when
they complete their work but right now it's a waste of
time. Sounds like someone is milking the gov for grant
money.
      The Home Power Mag DD to methanol article is
looking better as I've read other stuff that it will
work. How to purify it is another question. It's on
their 1st CD.
      If you just need heat a producer gas unit may be
good for you or just burn the cobs like Keith said.
    Serveral good producer gas units on Keith's and
Steve's sites.
                jerry dycus