>Composting toilets resolve water issues and enhance soils.

That's exactly right. That's what we have to do. I prefer the
"restore" to "enhance" though - the stuff goes back to where it came
from, according to the natural cycle. Flush toilets break that cycle,
like many other things we do. That broken cycle is right at the root
of so many of our problems, or even all of them, I think sometimes.

>As for paper, better recycled cardboard boxes or renewable annuals.

Most paper used to come from old rags and stuff. Seems the problem is
that the mills aren't geared to handle anything but wood, though
there are plenty of other (better) options, and they're under little
or no real pressure to change.

>In a perfect world nothing but lumber should be coming directly from trees.

Well, a good forest can produce a great variety of products in large
quantities (including energy), and still remain a good forest, nice
place for a walk, full of wildlife and stuff. No need at all to cut
the thing down, that's a really dumb thing to do. Especially to turn
it into paper.

Best

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever