Hi all.
Well, I finally did the first large batch yesterday.
Using alecs' 'foolproof' method.
I think i messed up big time.
My system worked perfectly although it took nearly 2 hrs to filter the oil.
My mix was 80% liquid veggie and 20% solid veggie. 80 litres in total.
I heated it all up to 100oC until i could get no more water from it, (there
wasnt much).
I sucked it thru the filter (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz).
got the temp to 55oC then added 8 litres of methanol. 5 mins later added
80ml 98 proof sulphuric. I then mixed for 55 mins then stopped heating.
This is where i messed up.
Going by Alecs, I gave the mixture 1hr 40 mins before adding the first half
of methoxide (4 litres). But, wait for it, that was after the initial 55
mins :( .
So, the base cat was working for 2hrs 35 mins.
This morning, expecting the worst I opened the drain expecting thick dark
gunge, it didnt happen, I got really murky mid brown oil, there was no
seperation.
So, i thought what the hell, heated up the whole mix to 55oC and added the
final 4 litres of methoxide. Mixed for 10 mins stopped heating and stirring.
Now all i can do is wait till 9 this evening to see what ive got.
My caustic seemed rather white, so i mixed the methoxide using 280gms to 8
litres meth.
Apart from my stupidity, the whole system was flawless, except i drew water
in from back siphoning from the bubbler to the vacuum unit. Ive since put a
one way valve in the system. The water didnt reach the mix it just filled up
the liquid trap some.
Any suggestions?
Ian