From: F. Marc de Piolenc [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, 21 May 2001 1:22 PM
To: Biofuel List
Subject: [biofuel] Coconut oil

Dear Hanns et al.,

The separation of coconut oil from coco milk (the water should be
separated out before oil extraction, as it contains no oil) using heat
is generally abandoned here due to low extraction efficiency and high
energy use. I do not, unfortunately, have numbers, as the analyses and
proposals I have on file are based on the use of mechanical expellers.
As I have said before, high energy consumption is not necessarily a
showstopper, as the availability of that energy (in both the
thermodynamic and economic senses) is just as important as quantity.
That is, if you can use coir and shells as your heat sources (if you
have no more profitable outlets for those), then perhaps it can be made
to work.

As for fermenting the residue, the traditional end product of coco water
is coco vinegar - wine vinegar is virtually unknown here. But I believe
that acetic fermentation requires prior ethanol fermentation, so
presumably there is some way to design a process that eliminates the
acetobacter part of the vinegar process. Perhaps heating to the point
where the residue is sterile, then (after cooling) inoculating with beer
yeast and excluding air...?
**As you say, there has to be prior alcohol fermentation. Perhaps it's just
a question of stopping the dermentation at the correct point?

Looks like another bench-scale experiment is in the offing. Maybe we
could design an experimental program and split the work?

Were you planning to start with green coconuts or mature coconuts?
**Mature coconuts because they contain more oil and are already on the
ground.

Best,
Marc de Piolenc
Iligan, Lanao del Norte (Mindanao)