----- Original Message -----
From: Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <biofuels-biz@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 3:10 PM
Subject: Standards - was Re: [biofuel] The importance of proper filtering

> I agree with you anyway, but my lamentation over filtering didn't
> refer to the need to filter the biodiesel, and the main problem in
> this case is that it's not biodiesel anyway, but that's what they're
> calling it.
**  At the end of the day there will probably be several forms of biodiesel.
Not sure I would have called the Russian petrol or gasoline I got in
Afghanistan years ago either but at the end of the day that was its generic
name and what I ran the vehicle on even if it didnt look like or smell like
these.
> When you first start using biodiesel, even excellent biodiesel, you
> have to check the fuel filter often at first because the stuff
> loosens up all the gunk previously laid down by the dinodiesel. These
> people clearly aren't being told that - but I don't know if this
> mixture of coconut oil and petrodiesel ("blend" might be stretching
> it a bit) has the same detergent effect or not.
** Anything with a slightly different chemical formula frees up and releases
a lot of caked on or built up carbon, varnish, sludge etc. When a by-pass
filter is fitted you would be amazed at how much this quickly pulls out of
the system because instead of letting the carbons and other contaminants to
circulate these are immediately pulled out and the oil which then retains
its initial viscoscity and most of its additives can quickly get at the
deposits rather than having a barrier between them. When fitted to a new
engine you would be amazed at the amount of metal filings and other rubbish
there is in a motor. After looking at the ones I have already seen the terms
"exacting automobile engineers" and "precision engineering" are a bit of a
joke and appear to be a complete contradiction of my understanding of the
terms.

> Coco-diesel might indeed work as claimed, if made to standard, I
> don't know that either, but it seems clear there aren't any quality
> controls at work in this case.
**  This is why I believe minimum standards are very important and need to
be implemented quickly. As an analogy Would you visit a brothel if you knew
all the girls working there had aids?  In the end shoddy standards reflect
upon the others in the industry and drive away those people wishing to
enter.
> I'm not knocking it - as Terry says, "any petrodiesel replaced is
> good petrodiesel!" But I haven't seen any reliable test results. The
> whole thing seems to be a sloppy mess that won't do anyone much good
> except maybe a few quick-buck artists.
>
> >Keith,
> >         You are not the only one. I have just been waiting for this to
> >happen and quite frankly I am suprised it has taken as long as this to
> >arise. I believe this is always going to be a problem with small scale
> >production but at the same time I am most definitely for small scale
> >production as I see this area being of most help to the initial producer
and
> >being able to quickly feed back the benefits to those it can most benfit.
> >do not wish to see the industry concentrated into the hands or as an
adjunct
> >of the big oil companies whose record over the last 100 years speaks for
> >itself showing a history of exploitation, abuse, and denial of the rights
of
> >the individual and minor countries.  At the same time I believe anyone
who
> >is manufacturing and onselling for profit should have a moral and legal
> >responsibility to produce and provide biodiesel to an acceptable
standard.
> >This is why I would like to see any manufacturer anywhere bound by
minimum
> >legal standards which can be upheld and enforced.
>
> That would take time, and wouldn't be easy. I'd like to see an
> international association of biodiesel and biofuels producers who
> developed and upheld their own standards among themselves, for their
> own good and the good of all.
** Quite agreed. I believe the easiest way to do this is for every country
to implement its own standards. Generally the easiest
way to do this is to pay attention to what has gone before and implement
those standards as ones own or make the necessary minor adjustments based on
experience and requirement.

ernational Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements. None of it