From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 9:23 AM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [biofuel] 40 acres and a mule...er, tractor

I've been a lurker for quite some time, and now I have a question:

The old standard for self sufficiency after the US Civil War was 40
acres and a mule for freed slaves. Back to the future: Most farms in
the USA use diesel tractors...the question is, how much bio-diesel can
40 acres produce? Would I need more than 40 acres for livestock,
crops, crop rotation, and allowing for letting fields lie fallow?
nWhich is the most efficient crop to grow for bio-diesel? Hemp?
Rapeseed? Other?

Thanks in advance. :-)

Jerome (Dragonfly)

---