Todd/John, sorry for the late response.  I did go to Hemp Car, but have
been short of time this week.  I did notice that they are using an older
123 series car, with the old 617 series cast-iron turbodiesel.  That
would be my choice if I was to experiment-it's a tough old stove, hard to
destroy.  After working for years as a Benz tech, some of those years
doing Roadside Assistance, our most common problem, after flat tires/dead
batteries, was diesels that had been misfueled with gasoline.  After
dealing with a few of these, I discovered that they run fairly well on
gas.  The main danger here was damage to the injection pump, from lack of
lubrication, usually supplied by the fuel passing through.  They also
don't like to start hot, I suppose due to the fuel vaporizing in the
injection lines, between the pump, and injectors.  Once cooled, they
started fine.  As I had no way of disposing of 20+ gallons of polluted
fuel on a Roadside Assistance call, I started adding 3 quarts of motor
oil, or auto trans fluid, to the fuel in the tank, and told them to bring
the car to the shop when they were able.  All told me that the
performance was the same as it was with diesel fuel, with the exception
of the hot-start problem, and some increased combustion noise.  Many ran
out the entire tank, with no ill effects.  Leaded gasoline could cause
holes to be burned through the pistons, due to glowing lead deposits on
their crowns, but, since we've existed on lead-free gas for over 20
years, that ceased being an issue.

As far as the retired 2 1/2 ton truck, well here's the plan:  I own a
very remote home in Michigan's Upper Peninsula-it's 9 miles off the road.
 There are no utilities-I generate my own power with a combination of
solar panels/passive solar heating, and a diesel genset, which, BTW,
doesn't get used nearly as much as you would expect.  I heat with wood,
which comes right off the site-mostly due to deadfalls/decline.  I
haven't cut a living tree in 20 years, unless diseased, and those have
been very few.  Obviously, everything that gets there must be hauled in
between June 01, and Nov 01, as the road is impassable the rest of the
time.  I can get in, via snowmobile, in the winter, and via Jeep most of
the summer, but the condition of the road keeps out vandals/trash.  I
have needed an all wheel drive truck, for hauling, for years.  Firewood
is heavy, don't fool yourself.  In addition, I will need something to
haul WVO with, once I start down the biodiesel road.  The idea of an
ex-military truck that smells like french fries, and Filet-o-Fish
sandwiches appeals to my funny side. My neighbors will probably stone
me-they're all on low fat/cholesterol diets.   Now, I'm wondering-If I
fuel with hemp biodiesel, will it smell like pot??

On a more serious note, military techs I've spoken with, tell me that the
electric pump is in the tank to "push" the fuel, which is more effective
than the usual diesel primary pump, which "pulls" the fuel to the pump.
It also makes priming a unit that has run out of fuel painless-it is
self-priming.  It also keeps a truck fueled with gasoline, or benzene
running, as these fuels tend to "vapor lock", without positive pressure
at the injection pump inlet.  None seemed to be aware of the damage that
the lighter fuels can do to the injection pump, but these are available
as new surplus for about $600.00 US, a bargain, compared to what the
military paid for them, I'm sure.  It is my way of getting some of my tax
dollars back-try buying an all wheel drive anything for less than
$5000.00, and see what you get.

Thanks for the encouragement

E.J.

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 23:20:54 -0400 "John Wayne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>