Hi Walter and All,
--- walter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Wow!  This is the best response to a question I've
> ever gotten in any
> group!
> Thanks!
     Your welcome, it is a good group.
     If I had a MG with the motor already out I'd go 1
of 2 ways.
     As Ed said, a Kabota 3 cyl 18 hp diesel would get
you about 80 to 100 MPG. The car Ed was talking about
is on the Robert Q Riley website. Many good homebuilt
cars on this site including the Doran, the Urba series
and running on electric, diesel and gas. Good design
papers on small and 3 wheel cars too under downloads.
     Making biodiesel from waste veg oil will be a lot
easier and cheaper.
     The other way is electric. There are several on
the web. Check out the EV Photo Album for some MG's
and put in EV MG in yahoo and you will find others.

     There's one website with a complete photo series
of the whole process from SF. Look around EV on yahoo
and you'll find it.
    If you make your own alcohol I'd use it 80 to 90%
with the rest water. You really need to raise the
compression ratio to at least 12-1 to get better power
and mileage.
    I wouldn't make alcohol unless you have something
like cattle or pigs to use the leftover mash. The most
difficult thing for making alcohol is getting the last
10% of water out of it but if you use it straight some
water is no problem.  It will take a lot more than 4
apple trees to make enough alcohol for it.
    For making electricity a wind genorator or hydro
is a more cost effective way.
    EV range can be increased by charging at work or
other places or making a fueled genorator to run while
driving and/or parked. A 3kw genorator will give
unlimited range.
> But the eventual goal I have is power
> self-sufficiency, hopefully
> within five years.  With electric, I think I can
> produce enough solar
> source?
>
> Does this sound like the impossible dream?
    No it's not, many have already did it.
                    jerry dycus