Dana wrote:

>Yes Keith we disagree on many things I suppose but
>probably not as many as we agree upon.

Probably true, but some of the points of disagreement are critical.
First would be that I've provided references and resources to support
whatever point I'm making. You don't, just unsupported opinions. It's
also apparent that you don't really read the refs provided, though
you say you do.

>The scale of serious production farming for food or
>energy simply does not lend itself to very integrated
>farming techniques...though perhaps my understanding
>of these techniques is different from yours.

You're apparently married to the idea of efficiencies of scale in
agricultural production and can't see past that. You haven't checked
the references:

'Economies of scale might work in a factory, but on a farm it's just
an illusion: agricultural economists now accept there's an "inverse
relationship between farm size and output".

'"Small family and part-time farms are at least as efficient as
larger commercial operations. There is evidence of diseconomies of
scale as farm size increases." -- "Are Large Farms More Efficient?"
Professor Willis L. Peterson, University of Minnesota, 1997.

'Industrial farming as a whole is based on an illusion: factory
techniques are a poor substitute for nature's excellent arrangements.
There's simply no need for them.'

"If we are concerned about food production, small farms are more
productive. If our concern is efficiency, they are more efficient. If
our concern is poverty, land reform to create a small farm economy
offers a clear solution. The small farm model is also the surest
route to broad-based economic development. If the loss of
biodiversity or the sustainability of agriculture concern us, small
farms offer a crucial part of the solution." -- Peter M. Rosset, Food
First/The Institute for Food and Development Policy, "The Multiple
Functions and Benefits of Small Farm Agriculture", FAO/Netherlands,
September 1999.
http://www.foodfirst.org/pubs/policybs/pb4.html
Condensed version: On the Benefit of Small Farms:
http://www.foodfirst.org/pubs/backgrdrs/1999/w99v6n4.html

>Interplanting, succession crops, organic nutrient,
>pest and weed control and mulching as opposed to
>irrigation are some of the techniques I am aware of.
>Are there others that come to your mind? While these
>farming techniques are certainly viable for small
>scale and specialty production as well as subsistence
>farming they are not realistically applicable to most
>large scale farming operations.

Large scale farming operations are not appropriate to efficient
production of agricultural products.

> >any illiterate peasant can do it without problems,
>and facing every disadvantage, and millions of them
>are doing it, with
>great success.< Without problems? I disagree...and for
>most great success means survival not significant
>energy or food production.

Again, you haven't checked the references:

"The Greener Revolution", New Scientist, 3 February 2001 -- It sounds
like an environmentalist's dream. Low-tech "sustainable agriculture",
shunning chemicals in favour of natural pest control and fertiliser,
is pushing up crop yields on poor farms across the world, often by 70
per cent or more. A new science-based revolution is gaining strength
built on real research into what works best on the small farms where
a billion or more of the world's hungry live and work. For some, talk
of "sustainable agriculture" sounds like a luxury the poor can ill
afford. But in truth it is good science, addressing real needs and
delivering real results.

"An Ordinary Miracle", New Scientist, 3 February 2001 -- In the
world's largest study into sustainable agriculture, Jules Pretty,
professor of environment and society at the University of Essex (UK)
analysed more than 200 projects in 52 countries. He found that more
than four million farms were involved -- 3 per cent of fields in the
Third World. And, most remarkably, average increases in crop yields
were 73 per cent. Sustainable agriculture, Pretty concludes, has most
to offer to small farms. Its methods are "cheap, use locally
available technology and often improve the environment. Above all
they most help the people who need help the most -- poor farmers and
their families, who make up the majority of the world's hungry
people."

See: "Reducing Food Poverty with Sustainable Agriculture: A Summary
of New Evidence" Centre for Environment and Society, University of
Essex
http://www2.essex.ac.uk/ces/ResearchProgrammes/
SAFEWexecsummfinalreport.htm

See: "47 Portraits of Sustainable Agriculture Projects and
Initiatives" Centre for Environment and Society, University of Essex
http://www2.essex.ac.uk/ces/ResearchProgrammes/
SAFEW47casessusag.htm

This is not just a bunch of paper, I've done it, I've seen it being
done in many places. Subsistence? Increased crop yields of 73%
average is subsistence? These are millions, literally, of mostly
illiterate peasants. Sure, illiterate does NOT mean stupid, but,
indeed, they achieve this without problems, it's spreading like
wildfire.

>Lets' suppose for a moment
>that even just 10% of all farmers in the us switched
>to strictly organic fertilizer (and I am a strong
>local supporter of organic farming) where would this
>fertilizer come from?

You don't understand sustainable/organic farming at all if you think
the organic "fertiliser" (wrong) would have to come from anywhere
else than within the farming system itself, NOT just imported from
off-farm at the expense of soil fertility elsewhere.

>Not enough animals to produce
>it.

Again, you don't understand organics. Please refer to the Journey to
Forever Organics, Small farms, and Composting pages.

>Nearly all manure is now used by the folks whose
>animals produce it to support the feed production part
>of dairy and meat operations.

On the contrary, huge lakes of it cause vast nuisance and abuse of
the eco-system.

>And it would still tend
>to drain into the Gulf just as its' synthetic
>counterpart does to some extent.

There is no run-off from a properly managed organic farming system.
You're thinking nutrients, Liebig's view, it doesn't work that way.
Even Liebig rejected his theory in the end. Organic farmers do not
spread manure on their fields (or shouldn't, generally not allowed
to). Their cattle might, but that's a very different matter and works
quite differently.

> >Sustainable agriculture, Pretty concludes, has most
>to offer to small farms. <I agree completely!
>
>I disagree that comparing British farming "costs" with
>those of the Midwest US is valid. Very, very different
>situations.

Different situations, very similar approach, very similar set of externalities.

> >In the US Mid West, for instance, which claims to be
>"feeding the world", it's at the expense of a dead
>pool in the Gulf caused by nitrogen fertilizer
>run-off, and anyway it turns out there's very little
>"feeding the world" going on in the Mid West, the
>facts would indicate it's rather the other way round.
>Etc etc etc.< I would be very interested to see those
>"facts" which indicate otherwise. The view from here
>(Midwest US) is that the average farmer grows and
>ships from 500 to 40,000 times the amount of
>foodstuffs he consumes.

... And buys his food at the supermarket, right? Check the refs
provided - you say below you did read this, but apparently not.

- The US and the other industrialised countries are the world's major
food importers, importing 71% of the total value of food items in
world trade (Handbook of International Trade and Development
Statistics 1994 (New York and Geneva: United Nations Conference on
Trade and Development, 1995), table 3.2).

- The US imports about $1.5 billion worth of beef a year (Food and
Agriculture Organisation, FAO Trade Yearbook 1995, vol. 49 (Rome:
FAO, 1996), 160, table 12).

- The US imports 54% more in farm commodities than it exports (FAO
Trade Yearbook 1995, table 6), much of it from countries where the
majority lack a healthy diet. The US is in fact the biggest food
importer the world has ever seen.

* For every one ton of US corn exported in 1996 to one of the 25
countries with the world's most serious malnutrition problems
(Category 5 countries, with at least 35 percent of the population
undernourished), 260 tons were exported to a wealthy Organization for
Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) country.
* 20 percent of the total US corn crop is exported; two-thirds of
these exports go directly to the 28 industrial OECD countries, where
it is mostly used for feeding animals.
* 76 percent of the corn used in the US is used for animal feed.
* Less than three-tenths of one percent of total US corn exports went
to the poor Category 5 countries in 1996.
* Less than three percent of total US corn exports in 1996 went to
the 24 Category 4 countries (where undernourishment affects at least
20 percent of the population).
* More US corn goes to make alcoholic beverages in the US than is
exported to feed the hungry in the world's 25 most undernourished
countries combined.
* About one-third of the total US soybean crop is exported; 70
percent of US soybean exports went to 28 industrial OECD countries in
1996.
* No soybeans were exported to Category 5 countries in 1996, while
17.8 million metric tons went to OECD countries.
* In 1998, a year of record-low soybean prices, the 25 most
undernourished countries received less than 0.027 percent of total US
soybean exports.

See "Feeding the World?"
http://www.iatp.org/foodsec/library/admin/uploadedfiles/Feeding_the_Wo
rld_The_Upper_Mississippi_River_.htm

Not a marginal opinion, there is a large amount of data to support
this, whether or not some Midwesterners prefer to turn a Nelson's eye
to it.

> >As I said, factory farming is not the way of the
>future. It's not efficient, it's not economical. It's
>a dinosaur, the sooner it's dead
>the better. Not the solution to energy crops either.<
>I fear it will have to do unless we are willing to see
>mass starvation on a global scale rather that in the
>relatively small areas of the world which exist now.

:-) It's obvious that you're not about to consider anything that
counters this utterly erroneous view of hunger and what causes it.
It's thoroughly debunked in the references you say below that you've
read. Clearly not.

>And by the way, although this was not your meaning I
>am sure...dinosaurs were the most efficient and
>enduring form of life on the planet to date.

Nope. Bacteria were, and still are, they're the most important form
of life by far, much more so than we are. Plants. Insects. But you're
right, I don't refer to dinosaurs as being unfit, merely as being
dead. A living dinosaur is something that ought to be dead but isn't.

>Point taken on China though. They are unsurpassed at
>local food production through necessity.

Through an unbroken 4,000 years of tradition. That's what
"sustainable" means. They've fed a growing and now-vast population
off a rather small amount of rather poor land for forty centuries
without any loss of soil fertility and without wrecking the joint,
and fed the growing hunger of their factories off the same small
resources (apart from mining) for nearly a thousand years to boot.
They're not the only traditional society that's done this. Will the
US succeed as well? Very doubtful, the omens are not good, certainly
not by following the current path. History is littered with the bones
of societies that tried it, none ever succeeded.

>We COULD
>learn a lot from them...but much would simply not be
>transferable to large scale non-labor intensive
>farming.

Indeed not, quite right too - but you back the wrong winner, and
again you're wrong in thinking that small-scale integrated
sustainable farms must needs be labour-intensive. Read the refs! Or
not, as you wish.

In fact there are many Chinese farms in the US, but they're Chinese
farms, run by Chinese, not American farms that have adapted Chinese
farming principles. Many Vietnamese, Cambodian, Hmong, Lao et al
farms too, variations on a common theme. Technology transfer is no
simple matter, and if it's to be successful it doesn't start with the
technology, it starts with the receiving end: the people, the
socio-economic-ecological context.

Would you say that the transfer of capital-intensive, input-intensive
technology to US farming has been successful? Millions (literally) of
displaced US farmers might not agree. Many boardroom members would
agree. How about the society at large, has it benefited? Many say
not. The environment? Many say not. Were the displaced US farmers
"dinosaurs", mere casualties of Darwinian law? How about this?
Free-range poultry is a sustainable and profitable system. It was the
norm in the US until it was superceded by industrial agriculture and
confinement systems in the 1960s. It didn't fail because the new
systems were better (they're not), but because of industrial
pressure: the slaughterhouses and processing plants, owned or
controlled by the same people owning and controlling the new
confinement systems, refused to accept birds from the free-range
systems. Within a couple of years there were no free-range systems
left. Darwinian law of a different ilk, eh? People call it
capitalism, but that's not capitalism, it's economic despotism. It's
as well to know the difference between the two.

> >"In the USA, for example, the top quarter sustainable
>agriculture farmers now have higher yields than
>conventional farmers< Come on Keith...look at this
>statement. I cannot disagree with it but comparing the
>"top quarter" is skewing at its worst. And I am sure
>that they meant "higher yields per acre" which puts it
>in a different context if the goal is total
>production.

It's exactly in total production that monocropping falls short.
Again, you're chipping away at an excerpt without going to the source
provided. Please read the reference provided.

> >Cuba Leads the World in Organic Farming < Yes but
>they certainly don't "feed the world" do they? Not a
>major exporter and again subsistence farming borne of
>a total lack of any alternative.

READ THE REF!!

> >Organic farming is THE fastest growing agriculture
>sector in the US and throughout the West. Consumer
>demand is growing even faster and is well ahead of
>production.< I agree. And it is because of consumer
>demand that it is growing. Demand leads to higher
>prices and tips the balance sheet so to speak when it
>comes to small farmers deciding to go organic. It also
>limits the consumption of organic food to the upper
>middle class since the cost is beyond the budget of
>most. And again it certainly has limited potential as
>a major food or energy producer.

READ THE REF!! MILLIONS of peasants are doing it, increasing yields,
producing marketable excesses, without buying any inputs - but you
insist it's more expensive?

It might be more expensive in Western countries at the moment, but
that'll change - and what it is that'll change is the system of
subsidies, open and hidden, for the entire factory-farming,
distribution and processing industry, which is heavily rigged against
small-scale, local, organic production. Unsubsidised and accounted
for in the price, factory-farmed food externalities add at a minimum
16% to the cost of food, organic externalities just 3%, and that
could be reduced to zero, and often is. In fact very much organic
food is sold at the same price as the chemical stuff, not all organic
farmers go to the special markets - they say their costs are lower
and yields the same.

> >I think you didn't read the reference I provided in
>my original response<  I have actually. It contains a
>bit of misleading information which I would be happy
>to help you correct if you are willing to look at your
>sources more critically.

I'd be more than happy if you'd be willing to look at my sources at
all, let alone critically - critically meaning in toto, not just
picking on a little bit here and there that you think you can get at
while ignoring the rest.

>As a "food or fuel" treatise
>it seems to contain a inordinately large amount of
>anti-US/anti-corporate/anti capitalism slanted
>statements...with which I mostly disagree...but not
>entirely.

The vast majority of food-vs-fuel objections stem from the US and
usually move on to saying that energy farming would lead to mass
wordwide starvation because the US Midwest would no longer be feeding
the world. As said above, it doesn't - virtually no Midwest corn/soy
goes to feed hungry countries, whereas the US imports a great deal of
food from those same hungry countries it doesn't export food to. This
information is not "anti-US", most of it comes from US researchers.
It does attack a widely held set of US myths, which don't do
Americans any good. Neither is it necessarily anti-corporate, but it
does attack the particular corporate interests that promote these
myths, also at great American cost. It certainly isn't
anti-capitalism, though that might depend on your view of capitalism.
I'd agree with this:

"Small-scale capitalism works out fine, but as scale increases the
departure from real capitalism becomes more pronounced---profits are
privatized, but costs are socialized. The attendant repair and
maintenance are left to succeeding generations if possible, if not,
to present low and middle income taxpayers."

As for "inordinately large", I think you only see it that way because
you object to it.

You say you disagree, but that just doesn't cut any ice unless you
offer at least some sort of basis for all your disagreements, but you
don't, just more opinion, not useful.

I don't "slant" information. It means deliberately biasing it by
giving extra weight to some aspects while suppressing others in order
to give a false impression in support of a prior agenda, and I take
exception to your accusing me of it. "Slant" used as you've used it
here is itself slant. What you say is slanted is well-considered and
well-referenced - you've just chucked a bunch of labels at it, none
of which withstands the light of day, and a pejorative, which I'll
thank you either to substantiate or withdraw.

>As for fuel cells...they are commercially available
>NOW which indicates that they are definitely not at
>the level of development that existed 20  years ago.
>No longer in the same category as say...cold fusion.

Yes, but you still say "four years", and I've been hearing that for
much longer than four years.

>Please don't take my often opposing point of view as
>disapproval of your goals or actions. I admire the
>obvious effort that you put into contributing to the
>"good" future the average earth inhabitant might have
>and support anyone willing to do so. I personally know
>the cost(s) of doing so...and the rewards.

Thankyou. Pity I'm so misguided though, eh? :-)

>Besides agreeing to disagree we might be able to
>benefit from each others point of view.

Well, I'd hope so, but really, if you're going to respond as you have
up to now, with just opinions, no references, while ignoring and
cutting much of what's been said, then I'll despair of it and
probably won't respond.

Best wishes

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever