----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 22:49
Subject: Methanol is DEADLY! - was Re: [biofuel] mehtanol ethanol, etc.

Yes it is.

> Hm. No, Ed, I don't think Greg should have it his way. He's
> definitely underplaying the dangers of methanol. I don't think it's
> going to do anyone any good for D-I-Y biofuel neophytes to get the
> impression that methanol is nice, cosy stuff like the wood it's named
> for, only slightly less hazardous than the jolly old booze you buy in
> a supermarket next to the food shelves and drink with your dinner.

I may be missing something, but, I don't think that I ever said that
methanol was "only slightly less hazardous than the jolly old booze you buy
in a supermarket ", it is more hazardous.

Please understand I never ment to imply that "meth" was safe work with
unprotected, it is not.

What I was trying to say, and failed to is that methanol like other
chemicals (that have a poision potential), need to be treated properly and
with respect, and when done so are to useful to be neglected.

For this, I am sorry.

> >It is one of the ingreaents that may be used, but, not by its self.
>
> It may indeed be used by itself, and was indeed the original
> denaturant: "add 5% methanol".

Yes, you are right, I was looking at Compleate Denaturant and missed Special
Denaturant. I am sorry for missing it.

> We'd all love to know about an effective backyard
> methanol production technique. Using dino-source methanol spoils it
> for many of us - it means our beautiful clean biodiesel isn't quite
> as clean as we'd like, and using ethanol instead has its problems.
> D-I-Y bio-methanol would be excellent.

I think that I found a DIY bio methanol, but all I have is 2 1/2 pages with
just an overview, that I am stuck on.

Greg H.

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!