>Am I confused?
> re 'Mercedes' G Wagen.
> I had always thought the G Wagen was made in Austria by Daimler Steyer
>Puch.
>ken

Hi Ken

The Mercedes Gelaendewagen (cross-country car), or G-wagen, went into
production in 1979, following five years of development by Mercedes
and Steyr-Daimler-Puch (50-50 joint-venture). It's undergone
continuous development since then and is still very much in
production, with Mercedes guaranteeing production for NATO up to
2025. See:
http://www.g4rce.net/engl/history1.html
Steyr-Daimler-Puch was making them for the Eastern Bloc countries,
I'm not sure if they're still involved. They still make the Pinzgauer
though, which the UK armed forces have bought instead of the Land
Rover, but there have been rumours they'll cease production soon.
Mercedes recently launched three versions of the G in the US market,
not including a diesel model apparently, nor the basic workhorse
version, the 461.

Best

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever