Hi Dave

This is an interesting article, but it says the Mog was post-war,
first one ran in 1946. With a pic of it.
http://www.unimog.net/articles/schramm/
UNIMOG - A German Legend

>Developed unlike the Land Rover, a vehicle that never got past the
>sentimentality stage (we-cant-make-it-better-its-a-Land-Rover mentality)

Too right! And in fact there's a lot wrong with it. *Still* no
difflocks, weak half-shafts... etc etc etc. The Series I had a
galvanised frame, so why not the rest? Land Rover owners LIKE rust
problems, eh? Tut-tut. And they're not reliable, something's always
wrong, something always needs doing. Sure, they'll get you there, but
you have to keep fixing stuff. At least it's fixable - well, the
Series models were. Mogs, on the other hand, ARE reliable. So are
G-Wagens.

>the
>Unimogs now get up to 210 hp (U2100) with numerous derivatives and
>attatchments. The MB Trac stopped production for a while, which was where a
>British company that did get over the sentimental block on product
>development produced the JCB Fastrac. It is now a good contender for the
>Unimog's crown of a real off road machine. I heard recently the MB Trac was
>back in production.
>
>see
>www.jcb.co.uk
>Fantastic graphics of some real all-round bits of kit.
>
>One of the Unimog derivatives I really liked, (but out of my price range)
>was the Werner Trac, an MB Trac derivative by the winch manufacturer in
>Trier. Full forestry spec, hydraulic 10 ton double drum winch, rear
>winching spade and front blade. Now that was an off roader.
>
>One vehicle I never got near though was a French military jeep class
>vehicle, looking a lot like a G-Wagen with (I think) a Peugot badge. I saw
>a lot in the French sector of Germany (prior to the Wall coming down of
>course). The rumour was no civilians could get hold of them for private use
>as they had some special engine. Any info on what this might be?

It is a G-Wagen, with a Peugeot engine. It's called the Peugeot P4,
made for the French Army. There's a bit more about it here with a
pic, but I can't reach this site at the moment:
http://www.4wdonline.com/Peugeot/P4.html

Can't tell you anything about the engine, but if it's a Peugeot that
says a great deal, I don't think they ever made a bad motor. A Google
search for "Peugeot P4" will get you a few hits in various languages.

regards

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo
http://journeytoforever.org/

>--
>------------
>Recycling - not a chore more a way of life
>
>Dave Preskett         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>The BioComposites Centre
>University of Wales, Bangor
>Deiniol Road
>Bangor
>Gwynedd
>LL57 2UW
>

>Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
>Please do NOT send "unsubscribe" messages to the list address.
>To unsubscribe, send an email to:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Quit now for Great
American Smokeout