----- Original Message -----
>Recyling methanol from glycerine.
>What does anyone have to say about pretreating the biodiesel with the
>leftover weaste glycerin with the methanol still init? mix the glyc, whicvh
>has meth and NAOH, then do a reaction with a corresponding lesser amount of
>reactants...
>anton berteaux.

>>Keep going, you're doing very well. I can tell you it works well if
>>you get it right, but I'm not free to tell you any more than that. Be
>>encouraged!
>>Best
>>Keith Addison

Anton I like the idea. Results of a couple of trials.

Waste glycerine from a batch of well used solidified vegetable oil
(Citation).
12.5ml conc aqueous NaOH and 225ml methanol per litre used for conversion.
Filtered waste cotton seed oil (FWCSO) SG 0.9136.

1/. 400ml glycerine + 100ml  FWCSO
   reacted at 55 deg C, mixed intermittently over one hour as temp held.
Settled overnight, upper layer 145ml, SG 0.8957
Retreat bottom layer with another 100ml glycerine
again increased volume  SG 0.9072

2/. 600ml glycerine + 600ml FWCSO
treatment as above.
upper layer 760ml  SG 0.9058
However pH of remaining glycerol just above 7 indicating that FFA in FWCSO
had neutralised NaOH and probably would have limited the extent of the
reaction.

Further tests required but I will certainly be using this method to recover
the excess methanol.
By using more than the titrated ammount of NaOH an excess will remain in the
glycerol to neutralise the FFA in the FWCSO. Or thr FWCSO could be
neutralised with slaked lime.  High levels of NaOH favour conversion of high
FFA oils and tallow. Have found that for a given methanol level the more
NaOH used the lower the SG and Viscosity of the BD. However yield volume
drops off. Treating the glycerine with WVO could reclaim this loss.

Keith, why the secrecy?.

Regards Paul Gobert.