Ken,

I have been experimenting with using water and various
"catalysts" to clarify WVO. My aim had been to "drop"
the particulate matter from WVO as well as neutralize
any acidity. This would lengthen the time between
cleaning WVO processing  filters as well as preclude
any injector/pump damage from long term use of acidic
SVO/WVO.

Forgive me if I am asking stupid questions.

When you refer to the dilute NaOH solution "and lots
of it" are you referring to and NaOH and alcohol
(ethanol?) solution? If you are do you recover the
alcohol and reuse or does it go into solution in the
WVO?

Do you think that this might hold promise for refining
WVO to use as SVO?

Thanks,
Dana

--- Ken Provost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> For those interested, I've found a better way to
> refine WVO than what was
> being discussed a few weeks back. You still use NaOH
> solution, but very
> dilute, and lots of it, and you only try to drop the
> FFA level of the oil by
> about 1 ml titer -- repeat as often as needed for
> your oil. My worst stuff
> these days titrates at around 3.0 ml, and I get good
> results (using mostly
> ethanol for my biodiesel reaction) with oil <= 1.0,
> so I have to do it
> twice. Equal parts warm oil and warm 0.1% NaOH
> solution, stir gently,
> let settle, and drain. I still like the cat litter
> step at the end,
> and of course
> you have to boil it dry. Someone (Keith?) mentioned
> 9 ml titer oil (!!).
> I would either pass that stuff up, or patiently have
> to repeat my process
> 8 times.....but it works, and virtually NO loss in
> emulsion.

or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!