Happy xmas Ed

Since CO2 credits are in, for example, USD/tonne of CO2 avoided, it seems
the unit value you need to know is CO2 (g/kg/tonnes) emitted/avoided per
litre of a) petrodiesel b) biodiesel c) SVO burned.

I understand that 1MWh produced from fuel oil produces 0,8 tonne CO2.
I don't suppose that fuel oil has exactly the same CO2 emission as
petrodiesel but it must be close enough to give a fair estimate.
Hence the request for the electrical energy potential of BioD. I seem
to remember that it's 8 kWh / L. Does that sound tight to you?

Saludos James
PS. The present price per tonne CO2 seems to be around $5.   I
think the price dropped dramatically when all the Russian 'Hot Air'
that Clinton optioned came back on the market when Bush jumped out of
the Kyoto agreement.
Take a look at..
                        www.co2.com

I have a  units question for you and a few thoughts/numbers...

Then you can show the relative benefit of b and c compared to a, calculate
the credit that should be given (asked for/demanded!) per unit of b) or c)
as a replacement for a).

(BTW, according to some of my earlier calculations, it seemed biodiesel
should  be worth around 5 cents Canadian/litre in terms of CO2 credit, at
$20/tonne CO2 value. SVO,maybe a little more than biodiesel, if we use the
idea that no fossil fuel methanol is used in SVO, but is effectively ~ 20%
of biodiesel).

If you use the NREL figures of LCA-basis 80% reduction of CO2 versus
petrodiesel, you can take the g/litre emissions of CO2 x .8, then apply
prevailing or projected credit value for sale or permanent retirement of
credtis (BTW, this is an interesting concept in itself that we should be
more aware of - see www.climatepartners.org for an example) and work it back
to a per litre credit value that ought to be assigned/made available.

Anyone else have calculations on this?

Edward Beggs
www.biofuels.ca

http://us.click.yahoo.com/IgTaHA/ZQdDAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM