To all,

Thx all for the posts on solid cat.

I think I recall something from one of my classes (courses?) (...whatever
they«re called), this year.
In some place it mentioned the use of potassium methoxide (KGME, or
CH3-O-CH2-CH2-OK) and KGPE (Potassium Glyme Poly Ethilene). I think it was
used in some dechlorination process for PCBs. The point is that KGPE is
something like this:

KO-[-CH2-CH2-]n-CH2-CH2-O-K      (I think this was what the molecule looked
like)

Being the sodium methoxide the catalyst in the traditional "Mike Pelly"
recipe (though I«ve never liked the word catalyst here, «cause the methoxide
DOES react with the oil), couldn«t it be possible that the "misterious
catalyst" mentioned in this whole discussion on solid catalysts, is in fact
something like KGPE, or maybe NaGPE?

Someone mentioned it was a polymer. Plus, the chemical properties of sucha a
polymer shouldn«t differ that much from traditional methoxide. Then again, I
wouldn«t see why this KGME wouldn«t react and dissappear (thus, not being a
catalyst at all)-

Please let me know if this polymer stuff rings a bell somewhere. If so, I«ll
do a bit more research on this KGPE stuff.

Regards,

Christian