I've always wondered about the validity of these figures:

MH wrote:

(snip)

> ÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷
> "It takes less energy to bicycle one mile than it takes to walk a mile. In
> fact, a bicycle can be up to 5
> times more efficient than walking.

(snip)

   Because there is obviously a vast difference in how people both walk
and bicycle. I ride a lot, and at least 90% of the time at a fairly good
pace with elevated heart rate, breathing, etc. OTOH, when I walk I never
experience that sort of "pump", so I have a hard time seeing how I burn
less calories riding than walking. I get there faster on a bike, but
with more effort.
   I also observe many people however who ride much more leisurely,
often coasting whenever possible, while I usually pump just as fast
downhill (unless it's very steep, which it isn't around here).
    So I wonder which type of rider and walker they measured?

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!