Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Levin and GM officials said that CAFE unfairly discriminates against
> U.S. automakers. American-made pickup trucks and SUVs are just as
> fuel-efficient as those from Japan, he said. But higher CAFE
> standards would force Americans to buy Japanese-made trucks, because
> Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co. Ltd. can offset the lower fuel
> efficiency of trucks with their strong sales of more fuel-efficient
> cars.

Another case of GM talking out of both sides of their collective face.

They make statements like this despite the fact that GM and Toyota have
a "strategic alliance" building vehicles together.  In fact all of
Toyota's US market trucks are built in a plant in California that is a
strategic alliance with GM.

Saying that driving American consumers to buy Honda cars will cost
American jobs is 100% BS, because, with the exception of the hybrids,
Honda builds all of their US market cars in the US, of 96% US made
parts.  Including some parts that they buy from GM's Delco subsidiary.
In fact, Honda builds so many cars over here that they are a net
_exporter_!

In fact, if you want to see just how many other automotive manufacturers
that GM either owns or owns pieces of just go look at their website.
They love to brag about it.  There are some of them that they don't brag
about, like Subaru and Isuzu, which they own big chunks of, and Toyota,
which they have strategic alliances with.

> "The proposal before the Senate will do little or nothing for the
> environment, but will do a hell of a lot to end American jobs," Levin
> said.

Horse hockey.

They said the same thing about polution controls back in the 1960's.
They said the same thing about the original CAFE standards.  They said
the same thing about catalytic converters in the 1970's, bumper
regulations in the 1980's, airbags in the 1990's, and the list goes on.
And yet despite this list of "things that will cost jobs", the
automotive industry is bigger than ever.

Besides which, a large number of GM's "American" cars _are_ Japanese
cars.  And Canadian.  And Mexican.

> "We're pushing people into foreign-made vehicles even though
> they're not more fuel-efficient."

Humpf.  The problem is that Honda and Toyota guessed right for the long
haul while Detroit was busy riding the tidal wave of SUV popularity that
they themselves created to try and get out from under the original CAFE
rules.

GM has made their bed, and now they get to lie in it.  (Pun intended!)

AP
--
Aviation is more than a hobby.  It is more than a job.  It is more than
a career.  Aviation is a way of life.

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.
FREE Money 2002.