  From: Neoteric Biofuels Inc.
  To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 10:13 AM
  Subject: Re: [biofuel] car racing-grand prix etc

  You have to look at air travel in terms of energy use per passenger
  kilometer travelled. Then the plane does not look quite so bad. Yes, they
  use tonnes of fuel on takeoff, but not a lot once cruising. I think jets are
  in the same range as passenger cars - not great, but not a lot worse.
  However there is concern that their emissions have a greater contribution
  to the "greenhouse effect" due to their placement higher in the atmosphere,
  I believe. Of course, if the passengers are on their way to a day at the
  races...uh...

  Edward Beggs
  www.biofuels.ca

  > From: Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  > Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 17:23:33 +0900
  > To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  > Subject: Re: [biofuel] car racing-grand prix etc
  >
  > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  >
  >> is  car rcing important? too much air pollution. waste of fuel. why
  >> not send this fuel to developing countries for their economic
  >> development ? any thoughts from anybody?
  >
  > I doubt that would be the most effective way to use the money it
  > would cost, better use it to support some local grassroots
  > development groups.
  >
  > Racing used to be a test bed for advanced stuff that later found it's
  > way into production models, but I don't think that's been the case
  > for quite a long time. A lot of the fuel's ethanol or methanol
  > anyway, less polluting. But it's just a drop in the bucket. Transfer
  > that thinking to air transport and tourism and you're onto something.
  > I heard a Boeing uses about as much fuel on takeoff as a whole Grand
  > Prix (is that true?). Then there's what happens at the other end. For
  > instance: "The average 15,000 cubic metres of water needed to
  > irrigate one hectare of high-yielding modern rice is enough for 100
  > nomads and 450 cattle for three years, or 100 rural families for
  > three years, or 100 urban families for two years. The same amount can
  > supply 100 luxury hotel guests for just 55 days." (UN Food and
  > Agriculture Organization - FAO.) And so on.
  >
  > Keith Addison
  > Journey to Forever
  > Handmade Projects
  > Osaka, Japan
  > http://journeytoforever.org/

  > Please do NOT send "unsubscribe" messages to the list address.
  > To unsubscribe, send an email to:

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.