Hi everyone. I«m somewhat confused after my titration results, so anyone (say,
Keith, Dana, or anyone with experience)... it would be great to hear your
opinion.

I started my first BD batch today (I«ve gathered 7 lt. of WVO, -corn,
sunflower-). And I got some queer results for cooked oil. I was following M.
Pelly«s recipe, where it says I should use Phenolphthalein (which turns pink at
around pH 8,3-9), but I used Merck (R) universal indicator, so I took two sets
of values: one to reach pH7 and another to reach pH 8,3+.

My only doubtful step was the weighing. I had a scale and my smalles bronze
weight was 5g, so I mixed multiple-of-five combinations of nuts, bolts, nails
and washers, and found out 2 nuts and a washer added up to 1g. That was what I
used to measure 1g of sodium hydroxide.

QUESTION 1.

ÀShould I titrate to pH 7 or pH 8,3?

RESULTS:

As I took 4 sets of values, I«ve indicated the std. dev. too.

To reach pH7 --> 0,26 ml (+/-0,062) of NaOH (0,025M)

To reach pH 8,3 --> 0,32 ml (+/- 0,052) of NaOH (0,025M)

Note: 0,025 M = concentration of the solution. 1 mole of NaOH weighs 40g, then
1 g of NaOH is 1/40th of a mole, i.e., 0.025 moles. That, in a liter, is a
0,025 M solution (0.025 moles/liter).

QUESTION 2.

ÀIsn«t this awfully low for (cooked) WVO?

QUESTION 3.

ÀWhat does thin mean?...ÀIs it very low in FFA?

I suppose the worst that can happen is I«ll get the 3d layer of unreacted oil
together with the BD (i.e. if my values for NaOH are in fact too short). I«d
rather get that than the gel formed by an excess of lye.

On the other hand, as I«m still experimenting, I think I«ll go hard on MeOH
(20% volume of oil).

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.
FREE Money 2002.