Dear Keith,

Remember my odd titration results?

Well, now I measured the lye on a precision scale (measures up to hundredths of
a gram) and made a solution of 1.06 g NaOH/lt (It was the closest I could get,
given the size of the solid NaOH pips). Close enough. I titrated again, and
(oops, forgot heating the WVO), titrated to around 1,3 ml.

I figured the first results were low because Phenolphthalein in unheated
WVO/isoprop takes some time to react with all the prsent FFA, so vigorous
mixing is needed, as well as -time-.

My results are still low for used oil (ranging from 1,22 ml to 1,5 ml), but now
they seem closer to reality. I«ll be trying out a liter batch in a couple of
days, and I«ll try 4g; 4,2g; 4,6g; 4,8g and 5g of NaOH to find the best results
(these values correspond with titration results varying from 0,5 ml NaOH to 1,5
ml NaOH). Wish me luck.

I«ve only one doubt, which is the container to use for Methoxide for my 1 lt
batch. ÀHow hot can the Methoxide get (200ml MeOH + 4,8g NaOH)? ÀIs a 2 lt
pyrex beaker OK (yes, it«s glass, but I«ll be working in a lab under good
supervision)? ÀOnce in the WVO, is the mix "safer" to handle, or should I treat
it as methoxide for the first minutes?

Regards,

Christian

Buy Stock for $4