You might want to check the archives, this whole thread was fairly thoroughly
discussed not too long ago when the air car made it's debut (and no, it wasn't
an April 1st joke). One major thing you're forgetting is weight -- lead is
extremely heavy, air ain't.
   And personally, I don't see anything wrong with the engine design -- heck, if
you want to see some strange engines, come to the EAA in Oshkosh next
Summer. Some are fairly mind-boggling, but they run nonetheless. I'm sure the
aircar people have some running prototypes, whether or not they can actually
make a marketing success is a different issue.
   There are plenty of examples of people with excellent ideas and designs who
can't make it to market for one reason or another. I recall about 15-20 years
ago a company that was building a very neat little flying saucer sort of
aircraft, had 6 or 8 engines running ducted fans around the perimeter which
first ran straight upwards, lifting the craft up as high as you wanted, then
flipped to provide forward thrust. Funny thing is, this company is still around,
still building prototypes, still trying to make it. Check out:

http://www.moller.com/

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix