  From: MH
  To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 12:13 PM
  Subject: Re: [biofuel] Shelf life

  MH wrote Thu, 07 Mar 2002 13:46:53 -0600:

  > What is the shelve - shelf  life of:
  > . biodiesel - BD
  > . straight vegetable oil - SVO
  > . waste vegetable oil - WVO
  > . diesel fuel
  >    at room temperature??
  > Thank you.

  To the best of my knowledge, or what I've learned so far, Steve Spence
  answered some of my questions with this post [Thank you Steve]
  Subject:  [biofuel] Small-scale Oilseed Production
  Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 11:16:14 -0500
  http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/oilseed.html

  This publication describes the basic processes involved in small-scale
  oilseed processing. Included are a low-tech method for raw material
  preparation using sunflower seeds as an example; information on methods
  and equipment used for oil extraction; and notes on clarification,
  packaging, and storage. Sources for additional information and a list of
  suitable raw materials are provided.
  ------

  I've added the following quotes from the publication:

  "Use of clean, dry containers to package and store oils can help to
  prevent rancidity. Sealed glass or plastic bottles are adequate. It is
  preferable if they are colored and kept in a dark box. The shelf life of
  oil can be expected to be 6-12 months if it is adequately packaged and
  kept away from heat and sunlight (1)."

  "However, unrefined vegetable oils are fragile, with limited shelf life.
  Therefore, some degree of refinement is necessary to ensure a usable
  product. All vegetable oils should be stored in a cool, dark area."
  ------

  Would I be correct in assuming BioDiesel and Diesel fuel,
  both having gone threw a refinement process,
  would have a longer, but not much longer, shelf life than SVO ?

  WVO I'd guess would have a shorter shelf life then SVO due to various
  reasons such as microbes and water.

  Thank you in advance for any & all responses.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.