Todd wrote:

>An acid/base requires no titration....

I think Aleks' method is good up to about 8% FFA in the oil --
at that level, you're right, titration is unnecessary. I tried
some 16% FFA oil (titrates at 21 ml NaOH!), and titration
after the acid step indicated I still had 5% FFA left, way too
much for his base step to work with the stated proportions.

>Okay...so you have to reprocess 30% of your original 100% FFAs.
>Are you not already 70% ahead of the game?

Yes and no -- the problem is separating the ester from the
unconverted FFA. If you start with oil containing 8% FFA and
end up with 2% FFA, that's not too much soap to deal with in the
base step. But starting with 100% FFA, and trying to wash out
30% of it as soap is another story....

>In the meantime, however, I have to ask........If what you are
>trying to convert to esters are 100% FFAs....do you really see
>any need to go into a base stage?

SOME kind of base stage is necessary to separate the ester from
the unconverted FFAs, even if it's just a neutralizing step
(much like caustic refining) to wash out the FFAs as soap. The idea
of using clean oil to "dilute" the FFAs and processing the whole
thing with a 2-step is just one idea.

>My best guess under such circumstances is that you would be
>better off switching to an acid/base method and not accumulating
>recovered FFAs in such high quantities in the first place.

That's the idea of diluting the FFAs with clean oil, but if 8% is
the most I can put in a batch, it doesn't help much.

Again, for a little background, the only reason I have free FFA
lying around at all is that I clean it out of the recovered glycerine
phase before neutralizing and composting (or flushing). The FFA
(or soap) is, I think, too nasty to dispose of that way.

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/orkH0C/n97DAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM