While there's some to argue with in the author's story, I'm glad she chose to do
it, so that's good.  I wondered about this claim, below, that the EPA forces
automakers to meet a ZEV standard by 2003.  I assume that this is mistaken and
that the author is confusing the Cal EPA with CARB.  Am I mistaken?  I know that
some other states have talked about adopting California standards as a measure,
but I am not aware of any Federal thing that mirrors that Cal Thing.

There is such a thing as the Cal EPA http://www.calepa.ca.gov/ and it is they
who visited the midwest and did research on ethanol on behalf of the governor
and reported back to him and to CARB (at least I think this was the structure of
things but I probably have some of it wrong) as to whether ethanol was the best
way to satisfy the oxygenate mandate.  There gist of their findings were, I
think, that ethanol did help clean air in some ways but not in others, and that
from a scientific standpoint there were better less-dated ways to satisfy
clean-air goals.  I am not voicing agreement, just passing on what I heard.

>http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=12917
>
>Who's Driving Whom?
>
>Currently, car manufacturers that distribute in the United States are
>producing cleaner cars. They have to because the Environmental
>Protection Agency makes them. By 2003, zero-emission vehicles must
>make up 10 percent of each major automaker's stock. However,
>manufacturers apparently aren't required to make these cars entirely
>available to the public. They only need to meet their quota of
>zero-emission vehicles. Then dealers get to decide which cars to
>push, and buyers get to pick the ones they want.

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/k6cvND/n97DAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM