Hello Todd, Jim, Ken and all

>Jim,
>
>Phosphoric would be used as a wash neutralizer and a precipitator
>when recovering the base from the glycerin.
>
>I tend to believe that Aleks is correct when he says that
>phosphoric won't work in the acid stage.
>
>My first guess on the matter is that the sulfuric in concentrated
>form of 95%-98% has less water than the 85% phosphoric which is
>most common.
>
>By introducing less water, there will inevitably be less soap
>creation, erego higher yields using one over the other.
>
>But the thought of precipitating out the caustic prior to
>composting is of great value, with the water soluble fertilizer
>being useable in a yard or field environment.
>
>Now, if someone would just design a rather cost effective, simple
>and "Underwriters Laboratories" safe, shadetree thin film
>evaporation/distillation unit to recover the methanol, homebrew
>will have closed the loop in the waste stream.
>
>Todd Swearingen

Why not recover the methanol at the end of the processing stage,
before settling? Still warm, it's all there, so just heat it up a bit
more (to 65 deg C) and distill it off through a simple condenser.
Isn't that what most people are doing who're recovering their
methanol?

And, um, sorry to nag, but any feedback on this below, posted earlier
in this thread?

>Different fats and oils all have different saponification numbers,
>and if you're making soap you need to know what they are to
>calculate the right amount of lye. But we just use 3.5g plus
>whatever titration says (and it seems to say various things),
>titrating to pH8.5, mix it up, chuck it in and go, no matter what
>kind of oil it is.
>
>That 3.5g figure for virgin oil (of whatever ilk) isn't precise, it
>varies between 3.1 and 3.5, which makes for quite a big potential
>error, especially with high FFA oils, where it counts more. Could
>these saponification numbers be used to correct the basic 3.1-3.5g
>figure?

Thanks!

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.