>>Are they well-intentioned or are they going to set ethanol up for a
>>year-2000-Chicago-style ambush where they drive prices way higher and
>>use this evidence that ethanol somehow does cost that much to
>>integrate?  If Davis tries to integrate an RFG program rather than an
>>ethanol program, will BP abandon ethanol?  How much added ethanol will
>>BP require additional to what they're doing now?

Thanks for the excellent response.  I had developed some basic
skepticism of the Oils, such as through your posts and Doyle's book
and years of following this or that, but I was not specifically aware
of BP's Greenwash awards.  Interesting.  Funny, but I recently took a
little flack for voicing my inbuilt skepticism on Shell: not that I
completely doubt that they see energy diversification as somewhat
rational, but I don't think they should be taken at their word on
every enlightened energy initiative, just because they and a couple of
other oils are viewed as somewhat relatively enlightened compared to
XOM.

I'm completely in awe of the Oil Lobby for their ability to wage these
battles on complex levels and disseminate so many half-truths that one
is befuddled.  Seldom have I seen evidence of this such as one finds
when one sees Environmentalists and consumer activists attacking all
ethanol and biofuel efforts, with a dozen or two or three different
arguments.  That the Oil Lobby has succeeded in getting
Environmentalists, Consumer Activists and Democratic Liberal
Politicians to do their bidding without really often raising a direct
hand is frankly an incredible-looking achievement of lobbying and
societal hacking.  I am not assigning a normative value of "good" to
it, but am admiring the work of the enemy.  At least, that is my
working view of it.  If we want to make some inroads, we must develop
an accurate view of what we are up against.

I am concerned and skpetical about why BP is doing this, moreso now
that I've read your information, but I'm also hopeful.  It seemed like
there would be no break in the dam.  Now there's a fissure of
indeterminate value or size.  I don't want to see Californians forced
into slavery paying off political favors to the Midwest, I just want
to see a modest percentage of our fuel purchases go to a source
outside fossil fuels, so we can get a much more first-hand idea of
doing that, and so that the total monopoly of the Oils on refining and
distribution can be exposed and discussed and modified, here in the
state whose auto purchases are so influential that entire design
studios are located here and where so many auto makers pay attention
to what we want.

>BP's won two Greenwash awards in the last two years. They're strongly
>pushing a green image, but it definitely needs a good read of the
>small print. They were in the news headlines recently as showing Bush
>the way on climate change - Bush and, one should add, Exxon-Mobil, a
>rival Sister. BP and Shell are investing heavily in solar, biomass,
>etc - or at least they say so, loudly, but its a tiny fraction of
>their continiuing investments in fossil fuels, and their fossil-fuel
>investment is not at all decreasing (which is rather the impression
>the PR tries to give). I don't think it would be wise to see them as
>well-intentioned, but that doesn't mean they'll cheat on it - and
>doesn't mean they won't either. When it comes to a conflict between
>the PR line and the bottom line, they'll go for the bottom line and
>the PR will switch to damage control.

Thanks for the info about France. Didn't know that.  Isn't it true
that MTBE is catching on in Europe somewhat even as it's being phased
out here?

>Worth adding that BP sued France in the EU court over France's tax
>preferences for ethanol, claiming that it distorted BP's markets for
>MTBE. And they won.
>
>http://journeytoforever.org/fyi_previous.html#3012
>BP -- Beyond Preposterous
>
>Best
>
>Keith
>

>Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
>
>Biofuels list archives:
>http://archive.nnytech.net/
>
>Please do NOT send "unsubscribe" messages to the list address.
>To unsubscribe, send an email to:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.