I«m a bit concerned with the glycerin/acrolein topic (glycerin thermally
decomposes into this dangerous substance). I found little on this topic (Keith
and Todd) in the archives. From a not-so-thorough search in google, acrolein
forms when heating Glycerol to 290¼C, but that happens when the glycerin is
pure. The water/glyc mixture boils at a lower temp, near 164 ¼C. A chemical
engineer told me today that the dark brown colour in the glyc could have to do
with the formation of acrolein (even at 60¼C). I want to run an IR
spectrography on my glyc to see if that«s so. Besides, I thought acrolein was a
gas. But still, it«s a carcinogenic substance you don«t want to mess with. Does
anyone know more about the subject? I am also concerned with the fact some of
you are using it as a detergent/grease remover. I«d suppose it will contain at
least traces of methanol, methoxide, maybe even acrolein, neither of which you
want on your hands. Please let me know what you think.

Best to you all,

Christian

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.