dear friends: as interesting as these disscussions on religions are
i will be giving up my memnbership of what i thought was going to be
something completly different shortly/ take care health and happiness al

-------Original Message-------

From: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, May 11, 2002 14:36:33
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Re: Gaia - was Religion

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 05:17:19PM +0900, Keith Addison wrote:

> > Her, please, the mother -- or as many Native Americans call her,
> >Grandmother.
>
> Which Native Americans, Harmon? Not arguing - but usually settled
> farming peoples have an Earth Mother and nomadic herders something
> fiercer, more male.

Well, at least in North America, the vast majority of Native Americans were
farmers, and even those who became nomadic, essentially only on the Plains
--
such as Lakota, only became so after the introduction of the horse. Quite
recent, that is. Well, of course, all were nomadic hunter/gatherers further
back
as were all humans before they developed agriculture.
And while all were hunter/gathers, most were agricultural, none were herders
-- had nothing to herd until the introduction of horses and sheep in 1500 or
so.
Even those who became herders of horses and nomadic, on the Great Plains,
seem
to have primarily feminine spirit figures -- Grandmother, White Buffalo
Maiden,
etc. although there is always a dual recognition in prayers of "Mother
Earth-Father Sky". The SouthWestern tribes like the Apache, Navajo, Hopi,
and
various Pueblo tribes were very agricultural, became herders of sheep later,
but
weren't nomadic at all, and very matrilineal, matrilocal, with many feminine
spirit figures like Corn Woman, Spider Woman, etc.
Now, when you get down into Mesoamerica, things change a lot, much more
agricultural, and over a longer period -- maize cultivation developed there,
along with squash and beans and most other food crops of this hemisphere.
But
the really interesting aspect of their relgious makeup is the extreme
diversity
of dieties. Aztecs and Mayas, for instance, had over 400 dieties (kami if
you
will) each overseeing a different hallucinogen or other intoxicating
plant.
South America is much the same with the exception, of course, of the Amazon
peoples who remained pretty much total hunter/gathers, but who also, as we
know,
have many plant spirit allies. The major ones, like ayahuasca, sacred
mushrooms,
and Ska Pastora, the Shepherdess, seem very much feminine in nature, very
nurturing, and very much oriented and affirming of the Life Force, or Gaia,
if
you will.
To get back to what you were saying about the herder cultures with a fierce
patriarchial god, this seems to be characteristic of European/North Asian
(the
Steppes of Russia), and North African culture. And the interesting
difference is
that along with their patriarchial gods and patrilineal culture is their use
of
alcohol rather than entheogenic plants. And dominator cultures and religion
rather than cooperative, partnership cultures and religions.

> > > As the "mother" that "created Man".
> >
> > Not just man, all life, Gaia is the essence of the Life Force.
> > >
> > > The "Gaia" you guys talk about is DIFFERENT then the
> > > one on the news right????? :)
> >
> > Well, just like with most things, what you get on the evening news is a
far
> >cry from the truth.
>
> "People get the government they deserve" - we used to say they also
> get the newspapers they deserve, but these days I don't think either
> of those statements is quite fair. They get what they're spun, but
> it's never a total job. You have to know how to read it, and I'm sure
> you do. How about this for upholding the values of the free world?
>
> http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm/ID/5542
> When American-Style Journalism Comes To Town
> Pakistani Reporters Become Disillusioned
> ... One senior journalist from Peshawar said he no longer believed
> the Western or American media is really free. "[Western or American
> journalists] are not professional," Sohail Qalandar, former president
> of Peshawar Press Club, told Medias. "They were found toeing their
> governments' line all the time. I would not call them professionals
> nor their media free."
>
> Here's another one - though rather less is made of it than of the
> dreadful fate of Daniel Pearl:
>
> http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm/ID/5488
> TOMPAINE.com -
> Parachute Journalists
> Jumping In To Cover A Story, Then Getting Out
>
> And another:
>
> http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=12731
> 37 Reporters Killed, and Counting
>
> Best
>
> Keith
>
> >--
> >Harmon Seaver
> >CyberShamanix
> >http://www.cybershamanix.com

> Biofuels list archives:
> http://archive.nnytech.net/
>
> Please do NOT send "unsubscribe" messages to the list address.
> To unsubscribe, send an email to:

Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix
http://www.cybershamanix.com