To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From:  "gassercoupe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 07:38:10 -0000
Subject: [hobbicast] Re: Mother Earth Solar Collector

Ok, time for my 2 cents on solar.
To make a solar only system work you need a really big energy sink.
In the western world that would mean batteries, but in north Africa
it means a heat sink.
What they have done is build a very large swimming pool, about 4
meters deep with a lot of pipes across the bottom. The pool is filled
with very salty (the heat sink) water.
There is no pump or anything moving the salt water, so the salt
stratifies into layers of increasing density. The bottom most layer
is always over 190 degrees.
They were not trying to make steam as thier power system did not use
water, it used freon. They used a converted V-4 commercial air
compressor as the engine to power the generator.
The system used gravity and one small pump, run off the front hub of
the engine, to get the freon from the condensor back to the pond.
This is the only "stand alone" solar system that I have ever seen
that worked "24/7" with out batteries.
The U.N. built it so I have no idea what it cost.

John

=====
-Martin Klingensmith
http://archive.nnytech.net/