I have this "dumb" question .. but it's always buggin'
me.

Ethanol is always spoken of as "not energy efficient".
 I take to mean that more energy needs to be poured in
than comes out in the form of ethanol.

Got THAT.  Makes sense ... since ethanol is sort of an
"energy carrier" .... energy-in minus
less-than-100%-efficiency equal smaller energy-out.

My dumb question is that ... why not build a AE power
plant next to it??  Like a solar, hydro, wind or
whatever??  Then use the ethanol as an "energy
carrier".  To "liquefy" the AE's output to a storable
form.  I can't understand why the argument goes to
"not energy efficient" ....and then DIES right there.
I mean, the ethanol plant is a stationary plant ... it
doesn't move anywhere!!

My second thing is just a comment.  They always say
that "the emission controls with ethanol would be more
complicated".  But I think that's only because the
vehicle is trying to be dual-fueled.

I used to work on LPG/gasoline vehicle and the only
reason for the complication is that the emission
controls had to switch back -n- forth when it is
dual-fueled.

I think if it were only optimized for one fuel (like
ethanol, things would be just fine.

Curtis

--- Jeremy Shuey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

----------snip----------------
Ethanol is an alcohol fuel (and motor-fuel additive
derived from corn; thus it is touted as a way to help
end America's dependence upon Middle Eastern oil, as
well as a means of helping the environment.

But ethanol is no environmental panacea; nor is it
energy-efficient. Far from it. Producing ethanol is
costly and complex, and uses up more oil-based energy
resources than the gasoline and other motor fuels it
would ostensibly replace.

And burning ethanol in an internal-combustion engine
creates environmental problems, too, which add to the
complexity of the air-quality problem by throwing yet
another variable into the emissions-control equation.
Multiple types of fuel, and different requirements
regarding fuel additives, make it harder for the auto
industry to develop effective new emissions-control
equipment. Different fuel types and additive packages
can (and do) compromise the effectiveness and
long-term durability of the emissions-control
equipment already in service.

=====
Join the Revolution!
http://thincnet.com/revolution9/downline/vdownline.html?9107