"Alternative Fuels from Biomass"
 By Wyman, C. E.
 08/01/1992

 [Some excerpts: ]

 Several oxygenated biofuels such as ethanol reduce
 carbon monoxide emissions when blended with gasoline.
 A number of biofuels can be substituted directly for
 conventional transportation fuels to reduce urban air pollution.

 The cellulose, hemicellulose, and lignin components represent
 the largest fractions or plant matter and can be termed
 cellulosic biomass or just biomass.

 Cellulose is generally the dominant fraction, representing
 about 40% to 50% of the material by weight, while the
 hemicellulose portion represents 20% to 40% of the material.
 The remaining fraction is predominately lignin with lesser
 amounts of substances called extractives.

 It is estimated that about 190 million acres of land
 [MH: 296,875 square miles -or- about 545 miles squared ]
 could be used to grow energy crops dedicated for the production
 of biofuels.  For an average productivity of 9 tons/acre/year,
 about 1.7 billion tons of cellulosic biomass could be harvested
 each year (4).  If accessible underutilized wood,
 agricultural residues, and MSW are included,
 about 2.5 billion dry tons per year of cellulosic biomass
 could be produced at prices from $18 to $65 per dry ton (1,5,6).
 As a perspective on the size of this resource,
 about 250 billion gallons of liquid fuels could be produced
 from this quantity of biomass compared to the approximately
 115 billion gallons of gasoline used in the United States.

 Biodiesel From Microalgae
 Algae are particularly unique in their ability to produce a
 high fraction of their total weight (about 60% or more) as
 lipid oils or triglycerides.  Lipids are hydrocarbons with
 a higher energy density than that of the carbohydrates plants
 typically produce.  Although these algal oils can be used directly
 in diesel engines, they can also be readily converted into esters
 that more closely match diesel fuel properties and
 burn more cleanly (13).  Diesel fuel currently supplies
 about 17% of the energy used for transportation in the United States.
 Production of diesel fuel from algae complements ethanol manufacture
 from cellulosic biomass in that as ethanol displaces the
 fraction of petroleum converted into gasoline, substitutes must be
 found for the fraction now used to manufacture diesel fuel.

 The projected price of biodiesel production from algae....

 - BIOGAS
 - METHANOL FROM BIOMASS
 - REFORMULATED GASOLINE COMPONENTS (RGCs)
 - CO2
 and more....

 Conclusion
 Many of these fuels are now ready for introduction into
 our energy sector for selected applications, and their use
 would improve our environment significantly from a viewpoint
 of both local air pollution and the potential for global climate change.
 Because only modest amounts of fossil fuels would typically be used
 to produce biofuels,
 ....thereby avoiding any dependence on imported oil.

 The work reported is funded by the
 Biofuels Systems Division of the U.S. Department of Energy.

>  "Alternative Fuels from Biomass"
>  By Wyman, C. E.
>  Alternative Fuels Division
>  National Renewable Energy Laboratory
>  Golden, Colorado
>  08/01/1992
>  PDF pages 16  1060K
>  Abstract http://www.ott.doe.gov/biofuels/newsearchdb2.cgi?707
>
>  PUBLIC NOTE - Prepared for the
>  U.S. EPA/Acurex Environmental Corporation Symposium
>  on Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Mitigation Research, Aug 1992

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/DlIU9C/4m7CAA/Ey.GAA/FGYolB/TM