Pierre,

We saw the same doomsday piece on klebsiella bacteria. In any
event, it's bio-tech.

There are a couple of paths to produce ethanol from glycerol,
just that it's not a single product or single step reaction. As
well, all stages have to be conducted in tightly controlled
environments. Co-products like butyric acid are not all that
pleasant, if but from an olefactory perspective, and would soon
have the health board knocking at your door looking for where you
stashed 500 dead chickens.

Decomposition of glycerol through destructive distillation
produces acrolein. This is also a rather nasty product from a
human health perspective.

Still, probably the greatest use of glycerol for the home
biodieseler would be process heat. Trick is coming up with a
combustion system that essentially incinerated the glycerin. This
would probably best be done with forced air in the combustion
chamber, a fuel mix of glycerin and "x" and a well refined
atomizer.

That said, there's still no reason to stop researching
fermentation of glycerin. A lot of people don't seem to think
that a simple process is that far out of reach.

Todd Swearingen