Harmon Seaver wrote:
>    I think you don't understand what octance (cetane) ratings are all about.
> If
> anything, with a higher octane (or cetane, as the case may be) you would
> benefit
> from *advancing* the timing, not retarding it. At any rate, where did you get
> this idea of changing the timing for biodiesel anyway? There's absolutely no
> basis for it that I'm aware of, in any of the documentation.

 CETANE NUMBERS
 EUROPE: 43 - 57, average 50
 U.S. lower, minimum 40, average 43
 Higher cetane correlates with:
 improved combustion
 improved cold starting
     reduced noise, white smoke, HC, CO and particulate
 emissions particularly during early warm-up phase
 "MOTOR VEHICLE FUELS"
 www.carleton.ca/~dkarman/82571/FUELS2.ppt

 One approach often used to mitigate the NOx increase associated with biodiesel
 is to change the timing of the engine. Retarding the timing of these engines
 tends to reduce NOx emissions at the expense of increasing PM10.
 "Urban Bus Operation"
 http://www.worldenergy.net/articles/supportRes/documents/lifecycle_ch6.pdf

 CONCLUSIONS
     Fueling with biodiesel/diesel fuel blends effectively reduced particulate
matter,
 unburned hydrocarbons, and carbon monoxide while increasing oxides of nitrogen
emissions.
 The optimum blend of biodiesel and diesel fuel, based on the trade-off of PM
decrease and
 NOx increase, was a 20/80 biodiesel/diesel fuel blend.
     Increased NOx emissions can be reduced by retarding engine timing while
subsequently
 maintaining emission reductions associated with fueling a diesel engine with a
20/80
 biodiesel/diesel fuel blend. The retarded timing lengthened the ignition delay
time.
 This reduced the peak pressure and temperature that enhance the formation of
NOx emissions.
 "FUELING DIESEL ENGINES WITH BLENDS OF
 METHYL ESTER SOYBEAN OIL AND DIESEL FUEL "

http://www.missouri.edu/~pavt0689/Fueling_Diesel_Engines_with_Blends_of_Methyl_Ester_Soybean_Oil.pdf

 Emissions of NOX
 from biodiesel vehicles can be reduced substantially by adjusting the timing
of injection.
 The Austrian study quoted above shows that, in buses, NOX emissions were
reduced by 23%
 relative to fossil diesel by advancing injection timing.
 http://www.biodiesel.co.uk/press_release/submission_for_biofuels_2.htm

    Speed of sound and bulk modulus appear to cause ignition timing to advance
 by an average of one degree. This tendency contributes to some but not all of
the
 increase in NOx emissions commonly seen in biodiesel engine stand emission
tests.
    This information could also be used to support efforts to retard engine
timing,
 although research on timing retardation with biodiesel and biodiesel blends
show
 other emissions increasing when this occurs. A B100 engineövehicle system may
 eliminate or reduce the amount of NOx produced by biodiesel fuels, although a
 significant amount of engine mapping and research on fuel spray patterns,
droplet size,
 droplet density, and other systems would be needed to accomplish this. Some of
this
 research is underway in other projects.
 "Measurement of Biodiesel Speed of Sound and Its Impact on Ignition Timing"
 http://bioenergy.ornl.gov/99summaries/biodiesel.html

 Looking at Flash Point of Petro-Diesel & Biodiesel
 60-80 C,  100-170  C
 "Biodiesel - Clean Green Diesel Fuel"
 2 page PDF > http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy01osti/30882.pdf
 I would think advancing timing would increase biodiesel combustion.

 Searching Google brought forth far to many reports.

`