On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 06:36:53PM -0400, Appal Energy wrote:
> Motie,
>
> How 'bout just makin' it simple for us poor knee jerk
> reactionaries whose knees don't work as fast as they used to?
>
> Exactly where is it that your trucker buds are getting bled dry
> and other consumers of road use fuel did not?
>
> Seems to me that the industry got off really light for half a
> century when diesel fuel was being sold for half the price of
> gasoline. Sure didn't hear any bitching then.

    Yes, and fuel cost is just an operating expense anyway, deductable from your
income tax, so what's the problem?

> Personally? I'd like to see 9/10ths of the airline industry and
> 3/5ths of the trucking industry out of a job as quickly as the
> infrastructure can be altered without economic devastation. Which
> would also mean one hell of a lot of other alterations around the
> global economic for about 30 years.

   Hear, hear. One thing that really ticks me off is that the trains have been
allowed to deteriorate so badly here that they are essentially unusable for
commuting anymore. I live exactly 80 miles from both Milwauke and Madison, where
the good jobs are -- if I could ride the train to work, I'd not mind at all
commuting to either place, but no way can I handle driving that far. My dad used
to ride the train 75 miles into Chicago every day.
   In fact, I'd really like to see private motor vehicles just banned from the
city limits of every city, and only electric buses and minibus taxies allowed,
plus HPVs. Electric delivery vehicles of some sort, I suppose.

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix