I've got a wheatgrass juicer that would probably work better than a meat
grinder. Mines a stainless steel manually cranked, about $80 or so. And it's got
a much longer tapered screw than meat grinders -- but I'd always thought you
needed much more pressure than that? But it's designed so the juice comes out a
hole in the side and the bulk comes out the end. It has a bolt in the end that
blocks the stuff, after it builds up you have to open that a bit to allow it to
escape -- whereas a meat grinder has a large end opening with plates with
various sized holes according to the grind desired, and normally you have to run
it thru the big holes first, then the little ones, so maybe you could modify
that end plate.
    Used to grind up a lot of moose and deer with ours, once upon a
time. Northern pike too, grind 'em up, bones and all, makes great fish cakes or
soup.
    But anyway, I think the wheatgrass juicer is more what you'd want, if the
pressure is sufficient. Somehow I thought you'd need much, much more.

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 02:17:51AM +0900, Keith Addison wrote:
> Hi Ken
>
> >Keith writes:
> >
> > >Why not use a meat grinder? Not the home model, next size up or so,
> > >something that a local butchery would use to make mince meat. If
> > >there are still such things as local butcheries. that is. You might
> > >be able to adapt it without too much hassle.
> >
> >I think the problem is that a meat grinder, like a nut grinder, is
> >designed to chop up everything and push it out all together. There
> >are traditional systems used in many places that are similar, but the
> >oily mix after grinding is then wrapped up (in cloth, basket mat'l, etc)
> >and pressed under rocks or with a car jack to separate the oil.
>
> They have some very cunning ways of doing that.
>
> >Definitely a batch process that way. A continuous oil press needs
> >two very separate outlets for oil and cake. Not saying the grinders
> >couldn't be modified, but that's the nature of the modification you'd
> >have to do.
>
> Yes, I agree. I was thinking the cake could come out the end, like
> the mince, and holes or slots or a screen or something or other could
> be provided in the body for the oil. It's not a regular screw, the
> pitch(?) shortens as it gets to the end to build up the pressure, so
> something like that might work. It would need some experimenting, by
> a cleverer person than me.
>
> Regards
>
> Keith

> Biofuels list archives:
> http://archive.nnytech.net/
>
> Please do NOT send "unsubscribe" messages to the list address.
> To unsubscribe, send an email to:

Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix
http://www.cybershamanix.com