From: Christopher Witmer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 10:07 PM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Just a mile marker that would ordinarily be
unnoticed...

So Darryl "Spike a Tree for Jesus" Cherney finally gets justice, sort
of. Good for him -- and for his lawyers.

I dunno. There's too many troglodytes among the monkeywrenchers, giving
the very concept of environmental stewardship a bad name, much akin to
anti-abortion activists who feel justified in using both threatened and
actual violence to promote their holy cause.

I'm reminded of the famous dialogue from Robert Bolt's play, "A Man for
All Seasons" --

*****

Roper: So now you'd give the Devil benefit of law!

More: Yes. What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get
after the Devil?

Roper: I'd cut down every law in England to do that!

More: Oh?  And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on
you -- where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?  This
country's planted thick with laws from coast to coast -- man's laws, not
God's -- and if you cut them down -- and you're just the man to do it --
d'you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow
then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake.

*****

Concerning both environmental issues and the abortion issue, one irony
is that disrespect for law seems to be as much a problem for those in
charge of enforcing the law as for the activists themselves. For in both
areas there seem to be cases where people have been framed by law
enforcement officials. Apparently there are "William Roper" types among
the police as well as among the activists. God save us from everyone who
thinks his personal agenda is so holy that any means are justifiable in
promoting it. It doesn't take many such people to throw society into chaos.

Christopher Witmer
Tokyo

Appal Energy wrote:

> Here's a bit of new that won't see much mainstream press. Makes
> the day a good one to mark on the 40 year calendar.
> http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=13354

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---