"See the all new DonCar Sports Utility Vehicle
 Coming soon to auto row in your home town!"
 http://www.oilcrisis.com/transport/
 [MH: The chart at page bottom lists]

 Car                        25 to 50 gross ton miles per gallon
 Airliner                   60 to 65 gross ton miles per gallon
 Bus                      110 to 120 gross ton miles per gallon
 Truck/18 wheeler  120 to 200 gross ton miles per gallon
 Train                    750 gross ton miles per gallon

 "The larger the number, the greater the energy
 efficiency.  For comparison, a two ton car would have
 to get 375 miles per gallon to equal the energy
 efficiency of a train."

 "thanks to James A. Hellams for this chart"

 VW One-Liter (239 mpg)
 [MH: I'm assuming this is US gallons not Imperial, anyone know ?]
 Vehicle weight of 290 kilograms (639 lbs)
 http://www.vwvortex.com/news/index_1L.html

 Two tons I *think* equals 4,000 pounds (lbs) in this case.
 so I thought I'd compare vehicles -
 639 lbs / 4000 lbs = 0.15975 x 375 mpg = 59.9 mpg
 making the VW One-Litre pretty darn efficient
 by a factor of 6.26 more economical then...

 maybe if we add 400 lbs of cargo to the VW 1L
 1039 lbs / 4000 lbs = 0.25975 x 375 mpg = 97.4 mpg
 making the VW One-Liter 3.85 times more economical then...

 of course I don't know what the fuel economy would be
 with the VW 1L carrying 400 lbs. or its rated capacity
 but I would think its safe to say it would exceed
 the fuel economy of a train.  As for the other
 infrastructure costs e.g. roads, parking, fuel, parts,
 repairs, maintenance, insurance, life cycle replacement, etc.

 I wonder how the VW Lupo diesel would rate.
 Better then a two ton 4 wheeler ?

`

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!