----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 03:41
Subject: Re: [biofuel] FW: Earth Can't Meet Human Demand for Resources, Says
Study

> I'm not sure what you mean about the data. I think these guys know
> well how to handle data. They were conservative, leaving out factors
> where the data was insufficient. So the real picture is likely to be
> rather worse.

Not to long ago, everyone knew that salt was bad for the heart. Why? Because
a prominet and respected heart doctor published what seamed to be good data.
The theory goes, the salt caused the body to retain water in the blood
stream, raising the blood presher, and causing the heart to work, harder,
causing a heart attack.  Now it sounds good.   It came from a from a
respected person in the medical community.  Everyone took it as gospel.

One problem he never tested his theory. Not one study.  Yet for several
years, what was hundreds of thousands of americans told?   Then Americans
were told that cholesterol was bad and that we were to avoid it. A few years
later we find out that that was only partly true, the HDL was bad, but the
LDL was not. Again, a few years later, we find out the the body requires a
certian amount of HDL or it makes its own.

This is why I'm taking this study with a grain of salt (no pun intended).
Because they did not generate the data themselfs, but, obtained the
information from other sources. If the information from the other sources,
is incompleat or tainted (not unheard of), then the whole model is skewed.

> You did this?
> How big is YOUR Ecological Footprint! - Earth Day Footprint Quiz
> http://www.earthday.net/footprint/index.asp
>
> That's eco-footprinting at its most simplistic level. It's just a
> questionnaire for the average household, there's a lot more to it
> than that. That's hardly what the researchers applied to the global
> population and world resources over the last 40 years.

That is fine, but, then they should be prepared to have the study judged by
what sites they linked to.

Now on the off chance that the study is skewed, and then another group used
the information from that study as part of another study? Will it not cause
the other study to be skewed?

This is why indepenent review of information is so important.  If they just
used the information from the other studys, without independent review ( of
all factors involved ), then the study is no better off than a high school
science fair.

I don't know that the information has not been reviewed properly, but, I
don't know that it has either, that is my concern.

Greg H.

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/3PCXaC/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/FGYolB/TM