The results from my first BD tests (with an opacimeter) were performed on an
Indenor xd2 engine (a Peugeot 504 pickup) (4 cyl, 2500 cc), Bosch injector pump
and direct injection over the cylinder. The analyzer was a Maha mdo2-kienzle
opacimeter (measures how translucent tha smoke is by mesuring light
transmission through it). It reads the absorption coefficient "k" (units: 1/m).
The result was k=5.6/m for dino diesel and k=1.71/m for biodiesel. Some of our
laws in Argentina state a maximum of around 2,52 (if memory does not fail me).

The test is performed by accelerating full throttle to "clean" the carbon
residue in the exhaust system, and then accelerating to obtain consistent
peaks, which constitute the value to be read.

BTW, the scale is not linear, so I can«t say there«s an  XX% reduction of
emissions by dividing the two obtained values. I have to get an "L" constant
(which is the length through which the light is forced to pass... through the
smoke) to convert k into a linear scale, and I still don«t know this "L" value.
But the values so far at least tell me that THAT particular pickup would not
have passed a municipal test running on diesel, but would have comfortably
passed it if running on my BD.

Steve: regarding the "Was there any doubt?" question... well, there«s always a
quota of fear when the engine that might get goofed up is not yours. Of course,
in that case you«re assuming the motor could get goofed up with biodiesel. Then
again, it was my home made first batch. I still can«t believe how long t took
me to find someone who would be willing to lend his car in the name of science.

That«s all for now.

Regards,

Christian