Hi Darren

>       An American government research centre in Hawaii has
>announced that a 1 to
>2 per cent solution of caffeine can kill slugs and snails (instant coffee
>contains about 0.05 per cent).

Full story below.

>       I am now seriously considering setting up a high class garden supply
>company selling balsamic weed killer and cappuccino slug killer :-)

If you're making biodiesel, FFAs separated from the glyc makes an
effective weedkiller. It's quite slow, takes a day or two, but it
works. I'm not sure if it's systemic or just contact, contact I
think, and also not sure how long it takes to biodegrade in the soil,
but it certainly is biodegradable.

>       The  BBC here in the UK had a bit about green roofs on their Gardeners
>World program last night.  Two men growing fields of sedums that would pull
>up in mats ready to be laid on roof tops.
>
>Darren

Caffeine Foils Snails

ARS News Service
Agricultural Research Service, USDA
Marcia Wood, (301) 504-1662, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
June 26, 2002

Caffeine can repel or kill snails that might otherwise eat and ruin
plants, Agricultural Research Service scientists report in the June
27, 2002 issue of the scientific journal Nature. An environmentally
acceptable, natural compound, caffeine has great potential as an
alternative to today's snail- and slug-killing chemicals. That's
according to Robert G. Hollingsworth, a research biologist with the
agency's U.S. Pacific Basin Agricultural Research Center in Hilo,
Hawaii.

Hollingsworth conducted caffeine studies in collaboration with
research entomologist John W. Armstrong at the Hilo Center and Earl
Campbell of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Honolulu.

The idea of using caffeine to quell pests isn't new.  But
Hollingsworth and colleagues apparently are the first to report its
prowess in clobbering pesky molluscs such as Hawaii's orchid snail,
Zonitoides arboreus. The tiny snail is a common and costly pest to
growers of Hawaii's colorful and exotic tropical orchids.  These
orchid farms are world renowned for the quality, quantity and variety
of the flowers that they produce.

In preliminary experiments at his research greenhouse in Hilo,
Hollingsworth applied a 2 percent solution of caffeine in water as a
spray to the coconut husk-chips material in which orchids are grown.
This growth medium, called coir, was infested with the tiny snails.
The scientists found that the caffeine spray killed up to 95 percent
of the snails.

In another experiment, the researchers showed that growth medium
treated with the 2 percent caffeine solution had only 5 snails, when
checked 30 days after the spray was applied. That's in contrast to
the 35 snails that they found in growth medium that had been treated
with a standard dose of metaldehyde, a common molluscicide.

Future investigations will provide further details about the ability
of caffeine sprays to protect floral crops from marauding molluscs.
Caffeine, a naturally occurring compound in coffee and chocolate, for
example, is ranked "generally recognized as safe" by the Federal
government.

ARS is the U.S. Department of Agriculture's chief research agency.

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Pp91HA/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/FGYolB/TM