Hallo Mark,

I think biodiesel can be used easily in wick type stoves and lamps.

SVO on the other hand cannot be used with wicks, because its viscosity is too
high, it does not get transported by the capillary forces, like kerosene.

I tried to explain this facts in a small drawing, which you can visit at:

http://jatropha.org/lamps/princ-burning.htm

Since SVO is not vaporizing like kerosene, and is not replaced by new material
by capillary forces in the wick, the wick itself burns and has to be replaced
quite often.

The SVO molekules are cracked by the heat of the flame, and a carbon deposit is
formed. After some hours the flame fades, because the supply of SVO via the
carbon layer is diminishing.

Regards

Reinhard Henning

"girl_mark_fire" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
> Does anyone know more about this supposed wicking problem? One reply
> I got off list talked about using biodiesel in a home heater (didn't
> hve too much details about what design the thing was, though) but
> said they ahd to start it on dinodiesel and that SVO didn't work at
> all. I've heard something or another about wicks being a problem but
> I thought it had more to do with the wicks burning up more often, or
> carbonizing more, or something like that. Is this true?
>
> I have used plenty of biodiesel in a Whisperlite XGK cookstove
> (that's a tiny multifuel backpacker stove that uses diesel or
> kerosene) and it is hardish to start the thing (I've never run diesel
> or kerosene in it for comparison, though, just volatile 'white gas').
> It's a wick-type thing, I think.
> Mark
>
> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Christopher Witmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > This also interests me greatly and I'd love to hear about others'
> > solutions in this department. In winter I heat and (partially)
> > illuminate my home with Aladdin stoves and lanterns (my
> understanding is
> > that biodiesel does not work with these wick-based devices); I also
> get
> > hot water year-round from a sophisticated kerosene instantaneous
> (i.e.,
> > no reservoir tank) hot water heater that I strongly suspect would
> work
> > fine with biodiesel. A dual fuel system (biodiesel + SVO) would
> probably
> > work too but since hot water is used sporadically, for only a few
> > minutes at a time, it wouldn't be practical. However, there are
> boilers
> > (here in Japan at least) that are specifically designed to be
> capable of
> > burning WVO. The Petromax lantern and similar designs (Chinese
> > imitations, etc.) will work fine with biodiesel (and most other
> > flammable liquids, including ethanol); however they produce such an
> > intensely bright light that you probably wouldn't want to use one
> inside
> > your home. (Especially in hot weather!) You can also get cookstoves
> that
> > are based on the Petromax design and I'm sure they work well. You
> could
> > probably build a simple but effective hot water heater around
> these.
> > There is also the old standby Perfection type cookstove but since
> they
> > use wicks I assume (based on what I have read) that biodiesel won't
> work
> > with them.
> >
> > -- Chris Witmer
> > Tokyo
> >
> > mark fire wrote:
> >
> > > Could someone post some info about experiences using biodiesel or
> SVO for home heating oil?

> Biofuels list archives:
> http://archive.nnytech.net/

> [...]

bagani GbR, Reinhard Henning, Rothkreuz 11, D-88138 Weissensberg, Germany
Tel: ++49 8389 984129, Fax: 984128, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
internet: www.bagani.de

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/TPvn8A/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/FGYolB/TM